Sign in to follow this  
monkeytennis

Thai food in London

Once, years ago (must be around 13 years or so) the family and I visited a Thai restaurant in Eastbourne (of all places!) which to this day is spoken about in hushed tones as the best Thai meal we've ever had. The great strong flavours, exquisite presentation and lovely service are lasting memories, despite it being so long ago. It's probably closed now, and I can't even remember the name.

Predictably, our attempts to recreate this experience elsewhere has been mixed. Pattara in Mayfair was good, Pattara in Soho dreadful. Other local Thai places have usually landed somewhere in between, and none has come close to that meal in Eastbourne.

Does anyone have any suggestions for great Thai food in London (& environs)? The family are visiting again next month and I would like to conjure at least the memory of that original experience.

Regards

MT

Monkeytennis,

Thai is one of the cuisines that London does not do well. That place you found in Eastbourne may have been very rare, indeed!

But if you have to have it, in my opinion, the best Thai food in London is actually in New Cross (kind of a pain to get to if you are staying in central London).

Its called Thailand and specializes in Thai and Laotian. My favorite thing to eat their is crisp fried red curry rice balls.

Here's a link to the Timeout review

MT,

I do want to add that I don't think Thailand does GREAT thai food. But I haven't had better in a restaurant in London. I'm only suggesting it as a place to go if you really really want to have thai food in London.

Once, years ago (must be around 13 years or so) the family and I visited a Thai restaurant in Eastbourne (of all places!) which to this day is spoken about in hushed tones as the best Thai meal we've ever had

Hi MonkeyT,

I take it you are an Alan Partridge fan? Anyway, the reason I write, indeed the reason that I joined this board, is to tell you that the Thai restaurant you speak of is called...

SEERACHA, in Seaside Road.

It's still there, and it's still superb. There is still a small army of wrinkled old ladies out the back chopping up roots and herbs. Everything seems to be made from the ground up and is indeed some of the tastiest food I have ever had.

A sister restuarant 'thai Marina' opened a few years ago in Sovereign Harbour. The menu is very similar, it's decorated a little bit more lavishly. I still prefer the feel of the original. I was the one who convinced them that with a little clingfilm insurance they could offer their amazing soup as part of a takeway order!

I was hoping to go to Seerach tonight, but unfortunately, neither restaurant open on Mondays!

Once, years ago (must be around 13 years or so) the family and I visited a Thai restaurant in Eastbourne (of all places!) which to this day is spoken about in hushed tones as the best Thai meal we've ever had

Hi MonkeyT,

I take it you are an Alan Partridge fan? Anyway, the reason I write, indeed the reason that I joined this board, is to tell you that the Thai restaurant you speak of is called...

SEERACHA, in Seaside Road.

It's still there, and it's still superb. There is still a small army of wrinkled old ladies out the back chopping up roots and herbs. Everything seems to be made from the ground up and is indeed some of the tastiest food I have ever had.

A sister restuarant 'thai Marina' opened a few years ago in Sovereign Harbour. The menu is very similar, it's decorated a little bit more lavishly. I still prefer the feel of the original. I was the one who convinced them that with a little clingfilm insurance they could offer their amazing soup as part of a takeway order!

I was hoping to go to Seerach tonight, but unfortunately, neither restaurant open on Mondays!

Extraordinary! Thanks for the investigative work, echobass. I think a return visit is long overdue...

MT

P.S. Well done on noticing the Alan Partridge connection.

I've come to this conversation late but I would second Mantanah in South Norwood, partly because its only a 15 minute walk away for me. This is the one Thai restaurant that is has been in the Time out Food guide with a red star or a highly recommended for around the last 10 or 12 years. It used to be run by Tym Yeoh who used to take the small staff over to Thailand every year to discover new dishes. Some years ago she left under mysterious circumstances and it was taken over (one story I read said she was was forced out by what amounted to a stalker). I visited a couple of times after that and although it was OK it never reached the same heights. However, just before Christmas I returned again, we were literally the only people in the restaurant and the Thai waitress was squeamish about Thai food and couldn't believe that we could eat some of the hotter items. Well, the food that night was back to the best I can remember from years previous. Although I don't remember specifically what we ate that night I remember that everything was seasoned well, strong with fish sauce when necessary but always balanced in the heat, sour, stakes. It made me sad that I hadn't been back in so long. I plan to visit again in the next few weeks. :P

Its about two minutes walk from South Norwood station which itself is just 12 minutes from London Bridge (on a fast train).