Sign in to follow this  
Guest Aaron T

Applesauce

Guest Aaron T

I am looking for the best applesauce available. Ideally made from organic apples.

Does anyone know of any producers? Sauce made from heritage breeds of apples or unusual or just plain excellent quality apples would be of interest.

I don't want to buy Motts but I also don't want to make it myself. There must be some high quality apple sauce out there. Availability in the NYC metro area or via shipping.

I really like Santa Cruz, and it looks like it's widely available in NYC. (Click "Where to Buy" and enter your zip code.) The apple-apricot sauce is really good, too.

Apple-berry is Logan's favorite. As he says, "Yumma!"

Ummm, you don't 'buy' applesauce, you 'make' it. It couldn't be easier. Buy yourself some apples. More than, maybe, 3. Depending on what style you like, cook them up.

If you like chunky sauce, peel, core and very roughly chop the apples and put them in a saucepan with a just enough water to cover the bottom of the pan, not the apples. Bring them to a boil and, stirring occasionally, cook until they are soft but not jammed. Sweeten or not depending on your taste.

If you like pureed sauce, it's even easier. Buy yourself a foodmill. Very roughly cut up your apples and toss them into your saucepan. Don't bother to peel or core them. Cook them as above. Put the entire mess into your new foodmill, then toss the stuff that doesn't go through the holes into your compost bucket or garbage. Taste your sauce and add sugar if you need to.

Canned or jarred applesauce? Aaarrrrgggghhhh.

applesauce is good, but you should try making pear sauce!! also useful for a shortcut version for a quick pear-chocolate jam...chocolate and pear sauce with a little coffee and crystallised ginger. the possibilities are endless. let me tell you...just try pear sauce...you'll never go back to applesauce.

But poor Aaron is without kitchen access most of the month! What's a boy to do when he can't possibly make his own applesauce?

But poor Aaron is without kitchen access most of the month! What's a boy to do when he can't possibly make his own applesauce?
It can be made on a hotplate or, in a pinch, in a microwave.

Implore one of us to make it and send him some?

I really, really, really HATE to peel and core apples. I have all the fancy tools. I still hate it. Something in my brain just screams. It's a mental illness, I acknowledge, but I don't think there is another kitchen chore I dislike more. Buy the damn stuff. And there are old heritage apples back there that should outshine anything we have out west. Go online.

I really, really, really HATE to peel and core apples. I have all the fancy tools. I still hate it. Something in my brain just screams. It's a mental illness, I acknowledge, but I don't think there is another kitchen chore I dislike more. Buy the damn stuff. And there are old heritage apples back there that should outshine anything we have out west. Go online.

you dont need to peel or core apples for applesauce or apple jelly. it is the pectin in the skin and pits that sets the final product. if you cook applesauce long enough, you can make your own apple jelly. i think its called apple butter in the states.

eta: at its simplest and easiest, all you need is a crock pot, food mill(or something similar) and a strainer.

What FB said. I never peel/core apples for sauce. The skins (if the apples are red) add color as well as flavor.

I peel only when I want the sauce to be pure yellow rather than with a hint of pink, for some reason.

you dont need to peel or core apples for applesauce or apple jelly. it is the pectin in the skin and pits that sets the final product. if you cook applesauce long enough, you can make your own apple jelly. i think its called apple butter in the states.

eta: at its simplest and easiest, all you need is a crock pot, food mill(or something similar) and a strainer.

Thank you! You and others are an inspiration. I remember the wonderful fried apples with biscuits during my summer vacations in West Virginia. Have never been able to duplicate them and they, too, were not peeled, just cored which is easy with the coring tools. After all the scientific experiments we had to do in college on apples, I know the whole success of apples depends on variety and recipe. That's what I meant, too, about Eastern vs Western apples, especially living in our climate.