Sign in to follow this  
Guest Aaron T

Applesauce

One more question: can one use wrinkly or mealy apples if that's what you forgot to eat?
It's the best possible use for wrinkly apples. Although cut back on sugar (if you were planning to add any) or throw in a tart apple or two to mitigate.

i just made applesauce again this weekend for my brother-in-law's birthday dinner (with roast pork, mmmm). the only addition i would make to the otherwise excellent advice is lemon--first, in acidulated water to keep the apple from changing color, and then some of the zest in the apples as they're cooking. and i find a squirt of lemon juice is often just the seasoning that's needed at this time of year when most apple varieties start to taste a little flat. i had started out with some spices on the side to finish, but it wound up not needing them (though i did add a small slug of jack daniels--my b-i-l is from oklahoma, otherwise cognac works well, too).

Can't you just whizz them in a food processor or blender? I hate mucking up my sieve.

Yes, if you peel them before cooking. If you use soft apples, like Macintosh, they sort of puree themselves.

Today, whole fruit sauce.

Golden Delicious tree in back yard. Quartered washed and stemmed apples. Boiled up with maybe an inch of water. Let cool. Put through food mill to remove skin and seeds. Thick and luscious whole fruit sauce. NO effort. (I hate peeling and coring apples.)

I LOVE my Cuisipro food mill. I bought mine at a garage sale for $5 from a bride who said she said she was completely baffled by it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cuisipro-Deluxe-Food-Mill-/332261421213?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368