Another delightful meal here. Top quality, gorgeous fish. Interesting appetizers. Very good rice. Lovely dessert. Service was excellent, the chef is just wonderful, and the bar is comfortable. Really can't ask for more than this in a high end sushi place. A pleasure in every way. But most especially the company. :lol:

Evelyn: this one goes on your list for NYC for sure.

Officially added to the list...now all I need to do is figure in a visit to NYC!!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You'd hardly recognize it: clean, white walls, and a sushi bar in the room where the bar used to be. That's where we sat last night, comforted by the sight of Masato Shimizu running the operation, th

Like George Constanza's when he was a hand model?

Officially added to the list...now all I need to do is figure in a visit to NYC!!

I forgot to mention, as we were finishing our meal, a smallish man walked up to the sushi bar and thanked the chef for a fantastic meal. The chef bowed and said "thank you, chef." I looked at him for a few minutes and realized who he was. To make sure, I asked Chef "was that Damon Wise, the Chef from Craft?" "Yes, the chef smiled broadly. "He eats here a lot."

Had dinner with an out of town friend at 15 east last saturday. The fish was indeed gorgeous and top quality, but I find the cuts of the fish too big for the rice beneath it, and the rice too warm in contrast and lacking distinction in taste. Then again, I am a classicist, and these are just personal preferences. Highlights of the meal is one of the most beautiful sea urchin ever, and a flavorful blue fin tuna sushi, both "no no"s for my medication....but, hey, that's why I dine with a companion. Otherwise, the sushi sashimi dinner was a great deal for the quality that you are getting, and I love the easiness of the room and setting. It's a place I'll definitely go back to again.

Had dinner with a party of 4 at 815 last night. Floor manager was exceptionally knowledgable and walked us through the Sake offerings and menu. Service, although lovely and attentive was quite slow.

Took over 30 minutes to receive our hot appetizers. Common occurence or a little glitch?

We started with the Kakiage which is a riff on latkes (with shrimp) - it was dry, flavorless and the only

major miss of the night. The Kakiage which were julienned raw potatos in a smoky broth is a must try on your next visit. Fresh thin soba noodles with Uni alters the mind...how can they make past w.uni subtle

and light? Somehow, it works.

Clearly, 15 E 15's sushi and sashimi is spectacular. Not a single miss and at $55 a pretty damn good value.

Needlefish, spring bonito, char, chu-toro, aji w/shiso - all fantastic.

Next time, Im sitting at the sushi bar.

$130 pp w/4 500 ml bottles of sake

Princess: interesting - I too am a sushi classicist - and a sushi snob - and I did not find the pieces too big. I am quite sensitive to that issue. Also, I thought the rice temperature was perfect - it should be slightly warm. In fact, the three of us specifically mentioned the perfect temperature of the rice.

eatpie: I've been there twice, no service issues - but I sat at the bar both times. That's the way to go.

but I find the cuts of the fish too big for the rice beneath it, and the rice too warm in contrast and lacking distinction in taste.

I had a very favorable reaction to the rice and the cut of the fish. Unlike a neighborhood place that serves large slabs of fish, these were, for me, properly sized. And, to repeat my comment, this was the first rice that I felt was comparable to Yasuda. Perhaps yours was too near the making and still a bit hot?

I didn't mention the frog's leg I ate as an app--it was delicious. This place should satisfy the most demanding sushi lover, (assuming they like you enough to serve you well).

but I find the cuts of the fish too big for the rice beneath it, and the rice too warm in contrast and lacking distinction in taste.

I had a very favorable reaction to the rice and the cut of the fish. Unlike a neighborhood place that serves large slabs of fish, these were, for me, properly sized. And, to repeat my comment, this was the first rice that I felt was comparable to Yasuda. Perhaps yours was too near the making and still a bit hot?

That may be the problem as I was sitting in front of the sushi chef at the bar, and may bethe rice hasn't cool off properly? I also believe this place is close to Yasuda, not quite Karuma. But, without the attitude of both, which puts it over both places in my preference. Plus, it is only 10 minute walking from my apartment. Can't beat that!

That may be the problem as I was sitting in front of the sushi chef at the bar, and may bethe rice hasn't cool off properly? I also believe this place is close to Yasuda, not quite Karuma. But, without the attitude of both, which puts it over both places in my preference. Plus, it is only 10 minute walking from my apartment. Can't beat that!

Kuruma's standout is the quality of their best fish--the toro, hamachi and others. It is so so good. Not having had Masa's I can't say if it is the best, but it's the best I've eaten. That said, Yasuda and 15 West are not far behind.

Kuruma's standout is the quality of their best fish--the toro, hamachi and others. It is so so good. Not having had Masa's I can't say if it is the best, but it's the best I've eaten. That said, Yasuda and 15 West are not far behind.

I entirely agree, but - as I've said before - the price of omakase at Yasuda and 15 East is less than half that at Kuruma.

The $28 sushi omakase is a bargain. Seven pieces of sushi and one roll, all chef's choice, made a nice lunch (if a bit filling, I am now a tad sleepy). Today's selection was toro roll, fluke, salmon, ama ebi, tuna, eel, snapper and yellowtail. All very good except the fluke which was off the charts good. Wasabi is freshly grated at the table. I had a glass of bone dry muscadet, bright with grapefruit, which was a good match for the fish. Two desserts were sampled: rice pudding tempura, which was too sweet and bristled with cardamom, and heavenly almond tofu adrift in almond water with little toasted bits of nut and crowned with paper thin slices of tender green almonds. The plum sorbet served alongside was deliciously sweet and sour.

I want to return for dinner very soon.

Edited to add: I really liked the space, especially several different and attractive light fixtures. And I loved the walls in the bathroom, which appeared to be either stone scored in a corduroy-like manner or cement made to look that way--I am guessing cement.

The $28 sushi omakase is a bargain. Seven pieces of sushi and one roll, all chef's choice, made a nice lunch (if a bit filling, I am now a tad sleepy). Today's selection was toro roll, fluke, salmon, ama ebi, tuna, eel, snapper and yellowtail. All very good except the fluke which was off the charts good. Wasabi is freshly grated at the table. I had a glass of bone dry muscadet, bright with grapefruit, which was a good match for the fish. Two desserts were sampled: rice pudding tempura, which was too sweet and bristled with cardamom, and heavenly almond tofu adrift in almond water with little toasted bits of nut and crowned with paper thin slices of tender green almonds. The plum sorbet served alongside was deliciously sweet and sour.

I want to return for dinner very soon.

Wow! That is fantastic. $28!! One could spend as much at Micky D's.