I couldn't possibly define in absolute terms what I find funny or not. And I defy anyone else to.

As sitcoms go, News Radio is without peer. For me, Eddie Izzard is the funniest standup comedian out there, but even he has terrible misses. And my biggest laughs currently come from a guy named Ray (with whom I collaborate on work projects). Most people think Ray is a jerk-off. I think he's a comic genius.

There is a new guy out there, name of Louis C.K.

I don't know his real name, but he has an HBO special, and we were nearly choking laughing at some of his dark humor. He claimst to be 39, but I bet he's more like 49. Keep an ear out: he says some things I've never heard anyone approach. Especially the middle-aged body humor. Outrageous in places, like a good comedian should be. (And yes, I worship Eddie Izzard.)

EDIT: found him online, and guess he's not that new, as he ranked #98 in the Top 100 Comics of All Time.

His real name is Louis Szekely. His special on HBO was hysterical. We laughed so hard that our stomachs ached afterwards. I liked his show that ran after Entourage last summer - also very funny. But they cancelled it.

He looks WAY older than 39, doesn't he? Wikipedia says he was born in 1967, but I am willing to think that could be untrue.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't get Frasier for years. When it went into syndication & I wound up watching a lot of episodes (I seem to be able to watch anything that's on at 1 in the morning & is not Craig Ferguson), I finally understood it. It's far from being a fave, but the writing is pretty darned good. It took me a long time to get past the actors, though, who apart from Peri Gilpin all tend to make me shudder. Well the dog's good too.

:lol: Well this goes way back but I could never see nor hear what was funny about Bob Hope--just never got him. But Jack Benny and Fred Allen made me laugh, even as a small child.

In the more contemporary world I think Colbert and John Stewart are hilarious and Bill Maher is okay. Of course, Mony Python just cracks me up even though I've seen them many times. As long as I live and think I will howl at "My brain hurts" and the lake inspector that inspects flooded flats.

John Cleese only has to breath to make me laugh. While were in Britain--can someone explain Benny Hill to me?

<_<

I didn't get Frasier for years. When it went into syndication & I wound up watching a lot of episodes (I seem to be able to watch anything that's on at 1 in the morning & is not Craig Ferguson), I finally understood it. It's far from being a fave, but the writing is pretty darned good. It took me a long time to get past the actors, though, who apart from Peri Gilpin all tend to make me shudder. Well the dog's good too.

So that's what it is, you need to watch it for like a year before you get it . I think I'll stick to Monty Python, Eddie Izzard and the like then, since I usually start laughing during the first 12 seconds. Much more cost effective if you ask me.

While were in Britain--can someone explain Benny Hill to me?

No, except to say he was doing what was in effect silent comedy when no one else was (and which only Mr. Bean has done since) which is admirable. But I've never found him funny.

I think the one element of humour which is an absolute requirement is observation. It's the expression of the essential truth of that observation, coupled with the individual style of the comedian which then makes it hugely funny, or unfunny, or any point between those.

Monty Python majored on the surreality of presentation. Bob Hope depended on subtle interpretation, and arguably the most immaculate timing of any comedian. John Cleese is the master caricaturist. And so on ...

That's why comedy keeps on changing. There are always new things to observe, and just every now and then along comes a comedian who has invented a whole new style.

Slapstick done well always makes me laugh. (Lucille Ball on the assembly line, packing chocolate nearly reduced me to tears).

Charlie Chaplin never made me laugh because I found him too poignant. But I loved Red Skelton when I was a child.

Monty Python - there's nothing more brilliant. And for some reason, the one sketch, "Confuse a Cat", always strikes me as hilarious. I guess I have a strong sense of the ridiculous. I think animals are funny.

I don't laugh at stand-up, although I can appreciate it. Seeing George Carlin live, and surviving his non-stop rant made me breathless, but I didn't laugh.

I don't like comedy clubs. I've only been to a few, but most of the comedians end up either talking about themselves (boring...) and their body parts (distasteful) or pick on a member of the audience (embarrassing).

Ellen Degeneris can make me laugh.

I think there's also a clear divide between what men and women find funny. My husband can be watching Comedy Central and cracking up, and I'm watching HIM in disbelief.....

there is a strong gendered element to comedy. but i don't think it is as simple as men finding particular things funny, and women finding other kinds of things funny.

as for the television comedy troupe with the strongest hit rate, you can't beat the kids in the hall. almost no filler through 5 years (well, okay that extended "chalet 2000" sketch). and their live shows are great too, on the rare occasions when they do tour.

No, except to say he was doing what was in effect silent comedy when no one else was (and which only Mr. Bean has done since) which is admirable. But I've never found him funny.

Did people really watch his show for the humor?

Did people really watch his show for the humor?

Skimpily dressed girls, mostly. But humor did come into it. I'll confess I do sometimes laugh at some of his skits.