Being a writer by trade, I'm sucked in by clever people who know how to use the language. When I was a kid I loved George Carlin (and that was back in his "Hippy Dippy Weatherman" phase), and it's held through to adulthood. Also used to love Stiller and Meara on "The Ed Sullivan Show."

THEN I saw Eddie Izzard. I bow and scrape at his feet. Smart, smart man. Am curious to see his new FX show, "The Riches" that is being so heavily promoted. Eddie would definitely be at my ideal dinner party. He's tiny, by the way....Saw him live here in Seattle.

That said, a live performance of "Pee Wee's Playhouse" at Universal Amphitheater back in the 80s practically had me peeing my pants. Can you say eclectic?

Physical comedy? Feh. I've never loved Lucy. Can't get into the Marx Brothers (sacrilege, I know). Loved Seinfeld but HATED the sourness of "Curb Your Enthusiasm." (I think a little Larry David goes a long way.)

And, finally, I think "Scrubs" is a total hoot.

Megan

(My fave Brit stuff-aside from Python--was/were "The Two Ronnies" and "Doctor in the House.")

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh geez. Just re-read the header...I guess mine was the "anti" post...dealing with what DOES make me laugh. Sorry for the thread drift! <_<

No problem! We're a carefree, forgiving non-judgemental bunch that is only too happy to learn a little more about Y-O-U!!!!

I don't much like jokes of the "A man walks into a bar..." type.

Okay, so how about...

Baby seal walks into a bar, bartender says "what'll you have?"

Baby seal says "anything but a Canadian Club".

Penguin walks into a bar and asks bartender "have you seen my brother?"

Bartender says "what does he look like?"

Bacon and Eggs walk into a bar.

Bartender says "sorry we don't serve breakfast."

Thank you ladies and germs we'll be here all week...

A piece of string walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "get out of here, we don't serve strings."

The next day, the piece of string walks into the bar, and the bartender says, "get out of here, I told you we don't serve strings."

The string walks outside, musses up it's hair and riles itself all up twisty like (see visual), and walks back into the bar. The bartender says, "aren't you that piece of string I just kicked out of here?" The string says, "no, I'm a frayed knot."

Two guys walk into a bar, which is odd because after the first guy walked into the bar, you'd think the second guy would walk around it.

duck walks into a chemist's and asks for a condom

how do you want to pay? asks the chemist

says the duck, just put it on my bill

another duck walks into the chemist's the next day and asks for a condom

chemist rings it up and says, i imagine you'll want me to put it on your bill

says the duck, i'm not that kind of duck

thenk yew, thenk yew veddy much!

Two hydrogen atoms walk into a bar. One says, "I think I've lost an electron."

The other says, "Are you sure?" The first replies,

"Yes,I'm positive..."

Three legged dog walks into a bar, says "I'm looking for the man who shot my paw".

last one...

A duck walks into a bar. He asks the bartender, "Do you have any grapes?" The bartender says "No, buddy, this is a bar. Does it look like I sell grapes here?" The duck leaves.

Next day,same duck walks into the same bar and asks the bartender "Do you have any grapes?" " NO!", the bartender exclaims. " I told you I don't sell grapes here!" The duck does this every single day for ten days. Finally on the tenth day, he walks into the bar and asks, as usual, "Do you have any grapes?"

The bartender explodes: "Look, I told you a million times that I DON"T HAVE ANY GRAPES!!!! If you ask me one more time, I'm gonna nail your little webbed feet to the floor!!" The duck leaves.

The next day, he returns. He asks the bartender, "Do you have any nails?" "No", is the bartender's reply. "Good", the duck says. "Do you have any grapes?"

Physical comedy? Feh. I've never loved Lucy. Can't get into the Marx Brothers (sacrilege, I know). Loved Seinfeld but HATED the sourness of "Curb Your Enthusiasm." (I think a little Larry David goes a long way.)

And, finally, I think "Scrubs" is a total hoot.

Megan

But isn't "Scrubs" full of physical comedy? It does have a lot of wit too & I agree, total hoot.

I couldn't possibly define in absolute terms what I find funny or not. And I defy anyone else to.

As sitcoms go, News Radio is without peer. For me, Eddie Izzard is the funniest standup comedian out there, but even he has terrible misses. And my biggest laughs currently come from a guy named Ray (with whom I collaborate on work projects). Most people think Ray is a jerk-off. I think he's a comic genius.

There is a new guy out there, name of Louis C.K.

I don't know his real name, but he has an HBO special, and we were nearly choking laughing at some of his dark humor. He claimst to be 39, but I bet he's more like 49. Keep an ear out: he says some things I've never heard anyone approach. Especially the middle-aged body humor. Outrageous in places, like a good comedian should be. (And yes, I worship Eddie Izzard.)

EDIT: found him online, and guess he's not that new, as he ranked #98 in the Top 100 Comics of All Time.

I happened across his stand-up special the other night - he's hilarious!

Not Funny? Jeff Foxworthy and his redneck crew. Gallagher, Sinbad

Not funny anymore Dane Cook, Carlos Mencia, Sandra Bernhard, Whoopi, Margaret Cho

Never will be funny - Judy Tenuta, Kathy Griffin, etc

Re Monty Python? I've converted many a doubter with their "Live in Aspen" special - simply hilarious

I loved newsradio too and am a big fan of Eddie Izzard.

I Love Lucy was torture for me. As a child I'd watch it because my older siblings liked it but I always knew that she was going to get herself into some mess when she really meant well and there were moments that I wished I could cover my eyes and ears.

I have the same problem wtih Curb Your Enthusiasm. I love it, sometimes, hate it when you just want to tell Larry, STOP! enough, you're digging yourself in farther and farther, this is no longer funny, its painful. But I do think he's very clever.

I do think a lot of humour is cultural. A lot of comedy in Japan is very simplistic or just plain bizarre. I find it hysterical while I know others that just think its plain weird.