What WINE are you drinking?

My first bottle of some 2001 Brunellos I bought. This was Collemattoni; a really delicious wine; powerful and aromatic. I bought a case, but I may buy some more, as this has such depth and power. Everybody should have some of these wines; I think a lot of them are very good, and will last for some years.

B, Interesting comments on a high quality wine. Brunellos, especially from good vintages like 2001, rarely disappoint.

On another tangent, I never read the other "What are you drinking?" thread as it appears to be mostly about whiskey and beer. I wonder if this "What WINE are you drinking?" thread can be viable and sustainable (and not be a detriment to posting wine tasting notes).

• Like 8
  • Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

B, Interesting comments on a high quality wine. Brunellos, especially from good vintages like 2001, rarely disappoint.   On another tangent, I never read the other "What are you drinking?" thread

god i love Jura wines. another of my very last bottles of 2001 Montbourgeau Cuvee Speciale (i'll be really sad when that's gone) and Overnoy's savagnin. been drinking a lot of the 03 Tissot vin jaune

Is that really a Sangiovese from Sicily?

These days, some nebbiolo d'alba, lots of Beaujolais crus, some soave and some Rhone varietals from a CA maker named Edmunds St. John.

Occasionally, Cornas, Cote Rotie, Chignin, Arbois and a few assorted Spanish cheapies.

Best, Jim

Buty 2003 Beast from Walla Walla- one of the most delicious can't-put-your-glass-down wines i've ever had. velvety, rich, deep. mellowed over time so not as beastly as firt tried at the winery a couple of years ago. only a couple of bottles left <_< but since husband got sick, i had almost the entire Beast for myself last night. mmmm..... each year the Beast is different (small cuvee or single varietal), 2003 was merlot

Last night some Dagueneau 2004 Buisson Renard. Lacked something on this occasion; not corked but the fruit was flat somehow.

B. Here is what WS had to say about this wine...

2004 Didier Dagueneau Pouilly Fume Buisson Renard

Expert Ratings: Wine Spectator: 95 points

Gorgeous, with acacia and honeysuckle flower aromas followed by green almond, grapefruit, lime and straw notes that cascade over one another on the finish, where a hint of macadamia nut lingers. Wonderful precision and balance. Best from 2007 through 2011. 1,250 cases made.

Sometimes any TCA can be so faint that it is undetectable except that the wine is flat as you describe. Something about your bottle, as you say, was off.

I'm all over the place.

Last week

one evening

1988 Henriot Champagne- wow- fine nutty mousse wonderful

2001 Raveneau Chablis Montee de Tonnerre very mineral with great body and lemon

1999 Ezchezeaux Engel- a little stemmy and light weight

2001 Pertimali Brunello young, primary, rich fruity and classic

2000 Clos du Lambrays more weight than either of the two prevoius reds.tart cherry some mushroom just excellent

1983 Grüner Veltliner Auslese, Bründlmayer- deep golden color very complex most of the sugar already gone great with pear crumble dessert

this week

2001 Bodegas Saenz de Santamaria Rioja Rondan Crianza- nice everyday drinker soft tannins and spicy fruit

2003 Outpost Cabernet- california fruit bomb with pan grilled steak

last night- 2003 Mas Saint Joseph Costières-de-Nîmes Cuvée Aventure- from Dressner lovely Syrah blend with Grenache & Carignane good QPR under $13.00

Last night, the NV Rose Champagne from Selosse. This was the last of 6 bottles I purchased a few years ago and lugged back from Paris. Disgorged in 2002, this bubbly has finally come together, with its spicy red fruit mellowed and well integrated with the wine's acidity. The nose was floral and positively seductive. A terrific match with sushi from Gari and some after-dinner Comte. It would be difficult to conjure up a more appropriate wine for Valentine's Day.

Last night at Le Chateaubriand, a new-ish bistro in the 11e, a bottle of Saumus Champigny '04 from one of my fav Saumur producers, Chateau Yvonne. I am a fan of their Saumur Blanc, but this was the first bottle of their red that I've tried. It was quite nice.