What WINE are you drinking?

A friend in the biz brought over a 2005 Ovid Napa blend the other night. Never heard of the maker. We don’t often get to drink wine like this. Full bodied, dense, cherries, black berries, smokey, perfectly balanced. Had lots of secondary characteristics and a very long finish. The profiles continued and continued long after each sip. Lovely wine, maybe the best red we’ve ever consumed. Went perfectly with grilled lamb steaks.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

B, Interesting comments on a high quality wine. Brunellos, especially from good vintages like 2001, rarely disappoint.   On another tangent, I never read the other "What are you drinking?" thread

god i love Jura wines. another of my very last bottles of 2001 Montbourgeau Cuvee Speciale (i'll be really sad when that's gone) and Overnoy's savagnin. been drinking a lot of the 03 Tissot vin jaune

Is that really a Sangiovese from Sicily?

Put me among that "some".

Love the Granges for current drinking.

I'll try to find the Grezeaux -- the people I bought this from have two other Baudry wines "Domaine" and the "Croix Boissée"

2008 Langhe Nebbiolo by Produttori del Barbaresco. Nice enough but nothing to write home about.

I hadn't had this before -- it is a second wine made with the young grapes apparently.

Lacked some intensity in flavour -- quite a clean wine but a bit boring, not very structured. Still went well with the food.

Calves kidneys and mash.

A garagiste Roussillon wine -- Le Clos des Fées 2007 -- the VV one so not the super expensive ones. Very very intense, maybe lacks a bit of freshness, but just beautiful fruit. Really good stuff -- modern but in a good way. Sort of a Chateauneuf du pape blend but they claim to use a lot of Lledoner Pelut which apparently isn't Welsh for Pinot noir but a type of grenache.

A garagiste Roussillon wine -- Le Clos des Fées 2007 -- the VV one so not the super expensive ones. Very very intense, maybe lacks a bit of freshness, but just beautiful fruit. Really good stuff -- modern but in a good way. Sort of a Chateauneuf du paper blend but they claim to use a lot of Lledoner Pelut which apparently isn't Welsh for Pinot noir but a type of grenache.

The other day I had a Carignane from just the other side of the Pyrenees that could be described exactly the same way. One of the Laureano Serres bottlings

It's interesting how the wines even with the same grapes change across the border. Grenache/garnacha. Of course sometimes the oak treatment is a pretty huge clue which side of the mountains you are.

It's interesting how the wines even with the same grapes change across the border. Grenache/garnacha. Of course sometimes the oak treatment is a pretty huge clue which side of the mountains you are.

Indeed. Although this saw no oak - what him being a hipster catalan winemaker and all. Yes I guess technically this was Carinya or something like that.

(I maintain Catalunya is the most hipstery region on earth - so I was surprised it took as long as it did for hipster Spanish wine to show up here, and that when it did it was originally from Galicia and the rest of the atlantic coast. But they've caught up now it appears - Els Jellepins had a tasting here a few weeks ago - garagiste, carbonic (I think), sumoll)

Indeed. Although this saw no oak - what him being a hipster catalan winemaker and all. Yes I guess technically this was Carinya or something like that.

(I maintain Catalunya is the most hipstery region on earth - so I was surprised it took as long as it did for hipster Spanish wine to show up here, and that when it did it was originally from Galicia and the rest of the atlantic coast. But they've caught up now it appears - Els Jellepins had a tasting here a few weeks ago - garagiste, carbonic (I think), sumoll)

I was in Mercat the other night (specifically for a glass of wine, one meal there when they first opened put me off the food ) and they were pouring some rather interesting Catalan wines.