Eats in Baltimore??

The Lexington Market is a dump. (Yes, Bette Davis said so).

The Baltimore Museum of Art is really a must-see, especially if you have even the slightest interest in Matisse. The Walter's Art Gallery has an impressive Egyptian collection. Both are medium-sized and do-able in one day. The dolphin show at the Aquarium is fun for kids and the Aquarium itself is really quite fun to see no matter what your age. Haven't been to any of the new galleries down by the harbor but I'll bet there's something there. A walk around Fell's Point is fun for the kitsch and antiques. Helena, I do think you'd enjoy Salt - see upthread for details.

And the Lacrosse Hall of Fame on the Hopkins campus, of course of course.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, maybe one reason to eat some meat is the place in Baltimore where we just had dinner last Friday, while visiting friends on our way back from Florida. Its a Venezuelan place called Alma Cocina

Ale Street News has a nice mention of Max's Tap House with its 75 tap lines of fresh beer. Located in the Fells Point section of Baltimore. Adjacent to Water Taxi stop 11, they say. Looks like a very nice menu, and a wide range of beers.

They also offer a Tuesday night beer tasting of what they describe as "exotics". If these people have 60 Belgians on tap, I wonder what they consider exotic?

Max's site

Beer Advocate's reviews

• 9 months later...

Going to be in Baltimore for three days coming up for work. Do most of the recommendations here still hold up? Sadly, I am going to be staying out in the burbs (Pikesville?) because that's where the work is, but I can cab it anywhere worth going. Salt looks promising. Our hosts are going to take us out for crab dinner one night, so the other nights I probably won't be looking for that kind of place.

Any new information or updates are appreciated. also, is there anything good in Pikesville?

Ron, there is a rapid-transit line that covers the Baltimore area; it might go to Pikesville. (It's been years since I was on it, just riding 'coz I like to ride subways :) , going to the end at Owings Mills. That was the only time I ever saw a flasher in the subway, but that's another story.)

Ron, there is a rapid-transit line that covers the Baltimore area; it might go to Pikesville. (It's been years since I was on it, just riding 'coz I like to ride subways :) , going to the end at Owings Mills. That was the only time I ever saw a flasher in the subway, but that's another story.)

The rail line to Owings Mills has two stations in Pikesville. One at Milford Road (near Highway 140), and a second station at Old Court Road (how appropriate!) near the I-695 / I-795 intersection. Pikesville is a big place, so i don't know how convenient these are.

If Ron goes to google.maps, the stations show up as a blue box with an M inside.

The rail line to Owings Mills has two stations in Pikesville. One at Milford Road (near Highway 140), and a second station at Old Court Road (how appropriate!) near the I-695 / I-795 intersection. Pikesville is a big place, so i don't know how convenient these are.

If Ron goes to google.maps, the stations show up as a blue box with an M inside.

sweet. it's right by my hotel in Pikesville. no rental car will be needed.

thanks for this info!

• 11 months later...
Do the current recs on this thread still stand? Going to be in BAL all next week.

We haven't been back since 2006 but will likely return next year.

If you should find yourself in Fells Point at lunchtime, I'd be interested in your take on the crab cakes & slaw at Vikki's.

P.S. My earlier link leads nowhere. The Market is at 1640 Aliceanna Street

Do the current recs on this thread still stand? Going to be in BAL all next week.

We haven't been back since 2006 but will likely return next year.

If you should find yourself in Fells Point at lunchtime, I'd be interested in your take on the crab cakes & slaw at Vikki's.

Well, my hotel/office is in Harborside so I probably will be sticking around that area during the day.