Tony Finch

Tony and I thought alike on many issues, and yet when we talked we always managed to disagree with one another on so many things. But even in disagreement he exuded natural warmth and compassion.

I bear witness and testimony.

hear hear. One of my best dining experiences was sitting between such. The three of us having a bottle of wine at St. John.

Watching him as he tuckered in to his first bite of a Luger steak.

I got to cook for him, Fahro and Harry (among others).

Man, he was big larger than life charactor.

Damn he'll be missed

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very very sadly, this weekend saw the passing of Tony Finch.   Words can not express how saddened we are. I'll miss Big Tone for a million reasons, the biggest being he was a fantastic friend that

Goodness, how sudden and sad.   G and I will always remember our dinner at Craft a couple of years ago. We were a table of six, and immediately upon being seated Tony looked at the winelist and sai

Folks Fahro & Harry have put together a lovely progress report about Tony's Friendship Well in Algal, Mali. If you'd like to receive this Email and future information about Tony's Memorial Trust

I've never met Tony (nor any of you, actually) but in a way you are my extended family for than I can express. I am so sad as a member of Our Family is suffering such a loss.

Beautifully said. Feel the same. And he posted so recently . . .

as everyone has said: how sudden and shocking. condolences to his family and friends. i hope the afterlife is not located in south america.

That was bad. But funny. Hope he's laughing.

He would definitely be laughing.

Absolutely. Given that La Fina Stampa (the bad Peruvian, carb laden starch, ressie in London) has now become Magdalen - a truly upmarket "Anchor & Hope" experience which, sadly, we never got the chance to experience with Big Tone. We will miss Big Tone so much. RIP

Tony lived his life with high passion. He did nothing by half measures. I enjoyed two-fisted sparring with him on political threads very much. In fact, he told me that I literally saved his life on the day of the London Metro bombings. He was on his way out the door to be driven by Fahro to his tube station when he could not resist delaying his departure to rebut a particularly strong post on OA I had made on an issue we were debating. As a result he arrived five minutes late for his train at the very station where, five minutes earlier, a bomb had exploded.

Oh how I wish I could have detained him this time.

I will miss him.

Perhaps Fahro would take some comfort in reading what was written here and on the other boards about Tony. Maybe someone who knows her could print them out and see she gets them?

MT: I'm depending on Sam F, and others from the London crew to do so, and I'm confident that they will do so.

Very sad news :) :o ;)

I've been really lax at keeping in touch with people over the past few years, which has meant that I haven't actually seen him in a while. I first found the sad news on Simon's blog rather than here, where I posted a comment:

Tony is one of those people who I often think of and expect is having a really good time eating some really good food somewhere. One of those larger than life characters that becomes part of the fabric of life itself and I just imagine will always be there.

Perhaps Fahro would take some comfort in reading what was written here and on the other boards about Tony. Maybe someone who knows her could print them out and see she gets them?

MT: I'm depending on Sam F, and others from the London crew to do so, and I'm confident that they will do so.

Will do.

I am really saddened by this. Back in the summer of 2003 I spent lots of time engaging in spirited debate with Tony on OA over the Iraq war but the discussion never turned mean or personal. I always felt that if we lived in the same city at the end of those exchanges we could have gone out for a beer and ended the evening with a handshake.

I am going to miss him very much.

I never interacted with him much. But when I read his posts his personality came through. And he almost always made me laugh or smile. He was a character.

I always thought that he took a joke in the spirit it was meant, as a joke. He seemed like the kind of person that I would like to share a meal with and spend most of the time laughing.

Very sad news.