Tony Finch

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very very sadly, this weekend saw the passing of Tony Finch.   Words can not express how saddened we are. I'll miss Big Tone for a million reasons, the biggest being he was a fantastic friend that

Goodness, how sudden and sad.   G and I will always remember our dinner at Craft a couple of years ago. We were a table of six, and immediately upon being seated Tony looked at the winelist and sai

Folks Fahro & Harry have put together a lovely progress report about Tony's Friendship Well in Algal, Mali. If you'd like to receive this Email and future information about Tony's Memorial Trust

This isn't supposed to happen to forces of nature like Tony.

I happened to be thinking of him last Saturday evening, as my Beloved and I pored over the tasting menu at Norman Van Aken's restaurant, looking for the heaviest carb options. I had many ripping arguments with him online, and my god was he a gadfly? I am sorry that those who never knew him might not have known that behind the splendid fanfare of opinions (let's not forget dogs-in-restaurants) was a most generous, thoughtful, helpful and kind man.

Many happy memories, like being tapped on the back in Trafalgar Square and hearing that unmistakeable voice say "Oi, look, it's Mister Mouthfuls".

He was special.

Wilfrid, when a cherished (witty, warm, dear) member of the Readerville clan passed on, people collected his best posts—two years or so—and put them in a memorial thread, called "Memories of Imre" (that was his name). It meant a tremendous lot for his two grown children, and his surviving sisters, to be able to read that: they printed them out and made books for the family. It might be nice for Tony's family and friends to see something similar here.

Just a thought.

Simon, your blog link was very sweet.

RIP, Tuckerman.

I first met Tony at the EG lunch at Chez Bruce way back when.We smoked outside like a couple of schoolboys(or a headmaster and a schoolboy.)He was funny, opinionated,charming and all those things mentioned here.A big man, with a big personality.His hospitality legendary, he put me up for the night after a Tayyab fest, and i had the pleasure of cooking for him and Fahro at our place.He made his immortal line about my sticky toffee pudding being a "Tad Dry", a comment that has rumbled on for years now.I will miss him, and my heart goes out to Fahro.A diamond.RIP Tony

Adrian

Wilfrid, when a cherished (witty, warm, dear) member of the Readerville clan passed on, people collected his best posts—two years or so—and put them in a memorial thread, called "Memories of Imre" (that was his name). It meant a tremendous lot for his two grown children, and his surviving sisters, to be able to read that: they printed them out and made books for the family. It might be nice for Tony's family and friends to see something similar here.

Just a thought.

What would one do with the moderator-deleted ones?

Just a thought.

What would one do with the moderator-deleted ones?

Password protection! It's about time. "Enter at your own risk."

I think quite a good idea, given that there are some photos of him with which people can at least associate a face with the [name].

Long live Tuckerman. I truly did want to meet him, and my hopes were sincere in that direction. He wrote like a feisty young man.