Kitchen design

If you can get a french-door oven, do. No bumping into a hot door while leaning over and reaching in, and no door sticking out blocking the way. I'm still thinking about one, now that I will be redoing the kitchen in my new place.

As for resale value (even though you're planning on staying forever): talk to real estate agents.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What would you do differently next time?   To get started:   elements we have in our current kitchen and want to duplicate in the next one: - pots and pans that hang rather than sitting tucke

F, Definitely a heavy duty potrack. Bright lighting in the overhead vent above the cooktop. Self cleaning ovens. Knife racks. Refrigerator with bottom freezer. If enough space, two dishwashers.

RP -- that gives me an idea: a "pot pantry" like the map-storage kind I described above, but with peg board and hooks for the pots and pans. I do love the idea of using peg board -- kind of like Jul

I'm a big fan of Miele. We gutted our apartment and designed a new kitchen. I'm incredibly happy with our appliances -- fridge, oven, cook top, dishwasher, fan -- all Miele. (And, in Paris, so reasonably priced.) We also put in a washer and proper dryer in our laundry room, and both work brilliantly. When we renovate here in NY, I will replace my current models with Miele.

Haven't seen any ovens with French doors here, but Gaggenau ovens open to the side which is a plus as I'm short. I also like that the combi hooks up to the water line, and that there is a very large range of temps/humidity settings. Need to figure out if medium capacity is big enough. I think it is and again the price differential between that and the largest is significant. Would also lose 10cm of counter space but that's not as critical.

Trying to figure out if the continuous induction is worth it. It costs a bit more but I think you can only have 4 pans on it. OTOH no limitation on size of pan or position...

Need to look into Liebherr fridges. Crazy how fast these things add up.

Any view on wine fridges? A is really set on (a small) one.

it's really about if you feel you can give up the counter and cabinet space and if you can run the ducting for the exhaust to the outside easily. but much easier than cleaning a big honking overhead hood filled with grease and dust bunnies. in my apt building a hood can't even be vented to the outside so i have an over the range microwave with a fan that never gets turned on

in my apt building a hood can't even be vented to the outside so i have an over the range microwave with a fan that never gets turned on

My under-the-microwave fan gets turned on just about every day.

It was only recently, when it started to bleed brown gunk, that I realized you had to clean it.

Downdraft vs. range hood. We're looking at this: http://www.bora.com/en/

Local company, very highly rated design. Apparently much more efficient as closer to the source. Downside is they take up cooking space.

Thoughts?

Looks cool. Is three a place you can demo it? (Maybe you have already.)

I think that since you aren't venting outside a downdraft makes much more sense.

You still have to get to the filters to clean and/or replace them, though. I'm not saying that as a reason to not buy one, just pointing out the (obvious to me) point. A demo would be absolutely necessary. It does look really cool, much more than Jenn-Air.

Yeah, external vent not workable but there are a lot of windows at least. I had a look at the thing in action (just steam), it is pretty powerful and very quiet. You have to change the filter once a year but it looks pretty straightforward. With the professional version you can change every three years but takes up much more space.

• 2 weeks later...

This might be the least transparent purchase we've ever considered. So we did a little research into the "independent" cabinetry producer we're looking at. Actually the line (Dross & Schaffer D3) seems to be produced by Eggersmann, which is more or less comparable to Bulthaup/Poggenpohl in terms of price range. Has anyone here ever come across it? Seems quite similar to Bulthaup. Supposedly better quality than B1 but better priced than B3, according to the internets. But who knows? Slogging through German kitchen forums by the way, Mouthfuls is nowhere near as snarky and dysfunctional. Anyway, we're leaning more and more towards the independent/Eggersmann stuff. Poggenpohl has been showing us the Segmento range but I like having higher hanging cabinets and some of the aesthetics/technical features are nicer in Eggersmann.