What is your personal Fritos?

While searching for something else I found this old thread on junk foods that we eat when no one is looking. .I copped to eating White Castle occasionally and years ago, Tater Tots with gravy.

I have something to add. Wise popcorn with white cheddar.

popcorn-wc-1.png

Air popped? You'd never know it. They add oil at some point (according to the ingredient list) and the cheddar is suitably salty and tangy. Great mouthfeel.

These are crack cocaine for me. Luckily the bags are only 4.5 ounces. One of them lasts me 2 nights. I shudder to think what I'd do if the bags were bigger. Wise is currently baiting the trap - a bag is only $2.

Both Smartfood and a brand called "Skinny" make competing versions but they suck. They probably don't have enough bad stuff in them.

I highly recommend you try a local popcorn maker, Bjorn Corn.. It has nutritional yeast and is made in Clinton Hill Brooklyn.. Its so delicious

• Like 1
  • Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I confess.   I like crunchy Cheetos. Not in chilaquiles but if faced with a row of chips that's the pack I'd grab.   Nutty real peanut butter and strawberry preserves. I can spoon this out.  

Potato chips: Lay's Classic and Pringles.   Sometimes I buy Rancho Gordo Tortilla Chips and make Fritos out of them. To use in Chilaquiles.

I highly recommend you try a local popcorn maker, Bjorn Corn.. It has nutritional yeast and is made in Clinton Hill Brooklyn.. Its so delicious

Have you had the chili-lime version?

But, no, sorry, Takis are not worth the calories/shame/soap required to remove the evidence. Ubiquitous is corner stores near me. They have great crunch, true, but not much satisfying flavor imo. Trust me, I've tried much Hispanic junk food over the last few years, and I will stick with plantain chips.

Where shall i find plantain chips?

Have you had the chili-lime version?

But, no, sorry, Takis are not worth the calories/shame/soap required to remove the evidence. Ubiquitous is corner stores near me. They have great crunch, true, but not much satisfying flavor imo. Trust me, I've tried much Hispanic junk food over the last few years, and I will stick with plantain chips.

Where shall i find plantain chips?

They are in almost every bodega any Hispanic grocery, any Caribbean spot. They have a very shiny foil bag. Goya obviously makes them

Daniel is correct: just about any Hispanic or Caribbean store. Even Anglo stores have them here in NYC. There are many smaller, local brands besides Goya. I don't think I've ever seen a monster big bag of them, the way potato chips and such are sold. Which means that even if you eat a whole bag, it's only maybe three servings at most.

While searching for something else I found this old thread on junk foods that we eat when no one is looking. .I copped to eating White Castle occasionally and years ago, Tater Tots with gravy.

popcorn-wc-1.png

Air popped? You'd never know it. They add oil at some point (according to the ingredient list) and the cheddar is suitably salty and tangy. Great mouthfeel.

These are crack cocaine for me. Luckily the bags are only 4.5 ounces. One of them lasts me 2 nights. I shudder to think what I'd do if the bags were bigger. Wise is currently baiting the trap - a bag is only $2.

Both Smartfood and a brand called "Skinny" make competing versions but they suck. They probably don't have enough bad stuff in them.

Do you have it at the store? I am overdue a visit.

popcorn-wc-1.png

Do you have it at the store? I am overdue a visit.

Why of course.. In two sizes. The first case was eaten by the staff. Literally, I had three bags and I'm assuming everyone else did. It's addictive. Jax has a half a bag a day habit.