Would that be like saying California is the worst place in the world because of Los Angeles?

Ahem. Los Angeles is in "Southern California".

Yeah, we wear it like a badge.

Heh.

Here in "Northern California", of course, we wear it like a tiara.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would that be like saying California is the worst place in the world because of Los Angeles?

The thing about LA is it is the worst place AND the best place.

LA is great if you have a strong social network, which is hard because even in densely populated portions of the city it is still a bedroom community which people travel about in island spheres, i.e. their cars. The result is a kind of very self-focused or self-centered population. We're not forced to interact with strangers in the way that maybe people in Seoul or Paris are.

The landscape is dotted with oddities and ugliness and we don't have very many interesting public spaces that haven't been overrun by tourists or chain stores. Sometimes it feels like city was built to force you to drive. Visiting LA can be much more fun if you have a local guide who can explain our particular bizarreness. But mostly the visitors I know are interested in celebrity sightings, the beaches, and the faux glam aspects of LA.

LA is a lot of fun if you are politically and socially extremely liberal. LA is a lot of fun if there is something unusual or extraordinary about you that might make you a social oddity somewhere else. Here you can turn it into something special. LA is even better if you have lots of money....

LA is not so good if you are _____________.

Is this a bad thing?

LA is not so good if you are _____unable to open your eyes and view the unexpected wonders that surround you - especially the ones that cost nothing to experience other than an open mind and a sense of humor...

Heh.

Oooh, fighting words Squeat - shall we catwalk it off? I've got a few queens, myself included, that will fight for that crown...

Heh.

Oooh, fighting words Squeat - shall we catwalk it off? I've got a few queens, myself included, that will fight for that crown...

Eh. Conceded. The whole state is gay as pink ink. Meet you in Palm Springs for make-up smooches and cocktails?

Heh.

Eh. Conceded. The whole state is gay as pink ink. Meet you in Palm Springs for make-up smooches and cocktails?

Yes, baby. Isn't that what makes us so fabulous?

At poolside of course. I'll be in 6" stilettos and mink bikini. Et vous?

Air kisses all around....

Heh.

[insert something about "pink ink" and "mink bikini"] But yes, I'll be there with bells on!

And, speaking for the fabulous state of California, we now invite you back to your trashing Florida thread...

Heh.

[insert something about "pink ink" and "mink bikini"] But yes, I'll be there with bells on!

I'm lost. Is this Mouthfuls or Second Life?

Heh.

You know what's funny? You are funny, but I read that as "we wear it like a bra."

Which I thought of, you know, cold weather, barking puppies, that whole thing. Bras for warmth.

NOT in a Castro way. Just in a, um, ME way.

:)

Yeh, I dont mind if people are white trash, old, surfer dudes, or ex New Yorkers, what scares me are the rumors of what South Beach is supposed to be.. Seems like they are people from LA with out the occasional earth quake to keep things in perspective..

Yeh, I dont mind if people are white trash, old, surfer dudes, or ex New Yorkers, what scares me are the rumors of what South Beach is supposed to be.. Seems like they are people from LA with out the occasional earth quake to keep things in perspective..

In the Golden State, we try to keep this earthquake businees in perspective. Those from Northern Cal assume that the big one will happen in SoCal. And vice versa.

The thing about people in LA who act very LA is that they are usually not from LA. Those people in Florida that seem like they are from LA are probably from Iowa.

The thing about people in LA who act very LA is that they are usually not from LA. Those people in Florida that seem like they are from LA are probably from Iowa.

how true. Although I don't recall ever meeting anyone who was really from LA, mostly from Pennsylvania via LA.

if florida were really that bad, why would all those people live there?

Taxes. That's why they have all those retired people. Which is why both sets of my grandparents moved to Florida -- one in Boca and the other Tampa. I cannot describe to you the sense of dread that I would feel when boarding an airplane to Florida. For me, it was truly hell on earth.

I've never been to the Keys but I've heard that they don't impart the same feeling of soul-crushing awfulness.