Barney Greengrass

Yasuda

Momofuku, or better yet Ssam Bar

DiFara

Grand Sichuan

Sripaphai

Grand Central Oyster Bar

Otto for gelato

There are lots of fun and good places on the lists here on this thread, but not New York-y and unique enough to warrant a visit if you only have two days, imho.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some brilliant suggestions there, thanks guys. I'll definitely try Katz and one of those Japanese places.

Out of interest, just how expensive is Kuruma?

If you're coming from London, NYC may seem like a bargain. :P

If you order from the menu at Kuruma, you can keep some control of prices. See menupages.com and note where it says, on the menu, "or up": in other words, if you let the chef do whatever he wants, prices can match the most expensive restaurants in New York - $300, $400...

Sushi Yasuda, on the other hand, is not far behind Kuruma in terms of quality - as far as I can tell - and a big omakase will rarely set you back more than about $150.

• 2 months later...

OK - the NYC visit came and went, and I want to thank everyone again for their suggestions. However things didn't quite work out as planned - I was only there for 3 nights in the end, and various commitments meeting old friends etc. kept me away from a lot of the places I wanted to visit.

However I did manage to find time for Peter Luger's and a couple of other interesting places. You can read all about them here:

http://cheesenbiscuits.blogspot.com

Very briefly, the food at Luger's was superb, but the experience clouded slightly by supercilious service. How do people put up with being treated like crap just because they know their steaks are good?

Sushi will have to wait till next time!

Regards

MT

I have the opposite problem: when I leave NYC the people in the rest of the country are so darn nice and accomodating, it feels a little Children of the Corn. It takes a little while to get used to it and smile back -- eye contact won't get me killed!

Hope you had a good trip, monkey.

I have the opposite problem: when I leave NYC the people in the rest of the country are so darn nice and accomodating, it feels a little Children of the Corn. It takes a little while to get used to it and smile back -- eye contact won't get me killed!

Hope you had a good trip, monkey.

My sister's boyfriend was recently freaked out by niceness during a couple of trips to Minneapolis. His overall impression of the place was, "Everyone is so friendly." On both trips he was alone, eating at the bar in a restaurant, and other patrons kept strolling up and engaging him in conversation.