Sign in to follow this  
Melonious Thunk

Steak

Yesterday I had the privilege of judging a steak cookoff at the Sam's Club in Plano, TX. One of the categories was tomahawks. Several of the cook teams used sous vide for the tomahawks and I was very impressed at what they were turning in for the judges. Moist, tender, juicy, and incredible. The one that was most beautiful to me unfortunately was over salted. There we over 40 teams cooking and turning in these steaks. Being a competition food judge is a good thing on some days. This competition was put on by the Steak Cookoff Associaiton.

Good job!

These are big steaks, don't know ow that I would be up for cooking one.

Several of the cook teams used sous vide for the tomahawks and I was very impressed at what they were turning in for the judges. Moist, tender, juicy, and incredible.

Funny what sous vide can do with a correct cut of beef, and the sous vide done properly.

Oddly enough, we've had steak twice within the last four days: a ribeye from the local butcher shop and veal flank steaks from Consider Bardwell (from culled males, I suppose). Both were very good to our taste; I don't think the fancy-schmancy steaks y'all are talking about would make much of an impression on Paul other than by their cost; he declares that "steak is boring."

Both received a quick sear in the cast-iron pan; because they were relatively thin (and the flank steaks extremely thin), that was sufficient to cook to temp. No need for oven time.

How many people are you feeding with your 3-inch-thick steaks?

This is an interesting question. We are finding that diners/friends are falling more and more into two categories, those for whom meat IS the meal and those who want a very small portion as central reference.

This is an interesting question. We are finding that diners/friends are falling more and more into two categories, those for whom meat IS the meal and those who want a very small portion as central reference.

As much as we enjoy meat, we are definitely in the second group. The veal totaled a little less than 1 pound, and I still have about one quarter of it left. It had enough flavor that we were satisfied. To us, those huge slabs of meat would "feed a family of four for a week." So, for example, when I cooked magret for six people, I cooked only four to serve sliced. Nobody starved; there was plenty of other stuff on the plate.

• Like 1

Dairy farms can do well culling their pasture raised, grass fed calves for veal. Adjectives like humanely raised or pastures are money in the bank.

Nice. How was it?

it was meat
how did it compare to what you get at fleishers or eataly?

Essentially my question. I shop at Bryan's brother's shop in SF. Not the boutique meat that Bryan ages, but very, very good. Against my grain to pay shipping on expensive meat when I can walk a block and have Peter Flannery cut meat to order at half the price. I'm cheap. Sorry.