On 11/27/2017 at 4:11 PM, voyager said:

... pre-heat to smoking before dropping in steaks or chops. Sear is guaranteed.

2 2 minute flips, then 10 minute rest.

2006218067_ScreenShot2021-03-28at6_01_06PM.thumb.png.14927f7f40c88786909ce1f0635383e4.png

A competent exhaust system is essential.   

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I lugged a huge 3 1/2" thick prime, aged porterhouse from Dean & Deluca 86th Street to the car on Saturday morning, July 3rd, full of anticipation. Later that night, after grilling it to perfecti

moved as requested.

As much as we enjoy meat, we are definitely in the second group. The veal totaled a little less than 1 pound, and I still have about one quarter of it left. It had enough flavor that we were satisfied

Posted Images

On 1/25/2018 at 6:08 PM, AaronS said:

how did it compare to what you get at fleishers or eataly?

part of what made it nice was the personal service and the friendly chatter with the guy who ages and cuts it or the dad of the gal who ages and cuts it. Bryan seems like a nice guy and i enjoy chatting with him especially when i want something a little special.

I am a big fan of the dry aged stuff at ends meat. my kids won’t finish their burgers if I use anything else.

I’ve tried most of the charcuterie too and I really like the coppa, the chorizo is probably my second favorite. 

It's funny, but it's much easier for me to order from Flannery than to get over to Ends (much less Pino's).

(Although I can't combine an online order from Flannery with a pastrami sandwich at Hometown.)

the sandwiches ends meat makes are almost always terrific. there’s a few places with decent beer in that building too.

I believe sandwiches are saturday only for now.

8 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Also, like splinky, I think the people at Flannery are delightful.  A positive pleasure to deal with.  (How many online retailers can you say THAT about?)

I've been thinking about this (not too hard) and I've noticed a distinct difference in attitude between on-line retailers of food vs everything else. I've had only positive interactions with Dartagnan, Baldor, Browne and Debragga. Every person I have spoken with seemed genuinely nice and wanted to be helpful.  And at Usinger's sausage where they may curiously ask you on the phone how you are going to cook the brats that are being sent. 

My wife has to deal with the others like Amazon, Target, etc. and I feel for her. 

4 hours ago, mitchells said:

I've been thinking about this (not too hard) and I've noticed a distinct difference in attitude between on-line retailers of food vs everything else. I've had only positive interactions with Dartagnan, Baldor, Browne and Debragga. Every person I have spoken with seemed genuinely nice and wanted to be helpful.  And at Usinger's sausage where they may curiously ask you on the phone how you are going to cook the brats that are being sent. 

My wife has to deal with the others like Amazon, Target, etc. and I feel for her. 

I think part of this has to do with the fact that with the first 4 companies you mention, you're dealing pretty much directly with those companies.

My guess is with Amazon, Target, et al., the people taking those calls are so far removed from the actual product and company itself, that they couldn't give two shits about their interactions with customers.

Right.  Also, many of these food suppliers originally dealt with a small number of professional customers, and only expanded their service to the general retail public during the Quarantine.  So it kind of makes sense that their service model would be different (and better) than mass retailers' (and that the preexisting ethos would stick even after their pivot).

• Like 1

To be clear, a lot of these boutiquey suppliers pivoting to mass retail have had problems adjusting both their ordertaking and fulfillment processes, and many of them aren't quite there yet.  We've largely gotten over the absurd minimum order sizes that were often imposed at the outset, but there are still a lot of fuck-ups in taking and fulfilling orders.  On the whole, however, these businesses are incredibly nice and responsive in correcting them.   It's like they haven't quite learned yet how to efficiently serve a large broad-based widespread customer base -- but they also haven't learned how to be unresponsive assholes.