South by Southwest Festival

Sure, the festival has morphed from rather slapdash beginnings to become a big huge deal with big huge money. Still, there are some interesting bands playing that we don't often get to hear much from.

The official site is here.

Since I don't go to the festival, I tend to listen in to our local hipster public radio station The Current to see what is cool. They broadcast their SXSW shows from Buffalo Billiards in Austin all weekend with live performances from various performers. The live performance schedule for the weekend is here. There are links on that page to stream the station.

Just heard the Prototypes play. Nice, low-fi, garage sound.

Really looking forward to Fujiya & Miyagi tomorrow.

But Sundance shares the same goal as these festivals. Organize a bunch of local businesses to participate; set up an organizing committee to book unsigned bands into the participating venues; invite record company A&R people and sign indie bands to your labels; convince the world that the festival is still pure and independent and money hasn't spoiled anything.

The only gripe I've heard about SXSW, actually, is that some of the bands that there are fewer true 'discoveries' anymore. It has enough cache that just to get booked you are reasonably well known. Still a pretty decent festival for music lovers.

On Morning Edition today, I think they said 1300. Whatever.

May I put in a plug for a friend, Alina Simone? Her "official" performance already took place, but she's got something like 4 more performances. If you click on the link to her site, you can follow through to her MySpace page where she gives times and places.

Hey, Rancho, okay if I do this? :P

On Morning Edition today, I think they said 1300. Whatever.

May I put in a plug for a friend, Alina Simone? Her "official" performance already took place, but she's got something like 4 more performances. If you click on the link to her site, you can follow through to her MySpace page where she gives times and places.

Hey, Rancho, okay if I do this? :P

Does she buy beans?

• 11 months later...

Minnesota Public Radio's The Current is broadcasting this year from 13 March - 15 March (they've teamed up with Free Yr Radio). Broadcast schedule is here.

Fairly large elder statesmen group this year with Carbon/Silicon, John Doe, and Billy Bragg.

I'll be hoping to catch Dizzee Rascal, The Heavy, and Tokyo Police Club.

I can't get down to Austin but due we do get a nice going to and coming from selection. A little north of sxsw I am sure that Cain's Ballroom would be in the mix but they haven't finished replaceing the dance floor (it is mounted on car springs and bounces when enough people are out danc'n). The same thing happens for Jazzfest. Not quite, not close enough, but it works.