• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people who desire children and have them also end up having screwed up children. given the ratio of those who find parenthood necessary vs the other side, it is highly unlikely for the numbers of those resisting parenthood to end up abandoning children be higher than the former.

in another case, i pay taxes. those with a zillion children also pay taxes. they benefit from the school system, but my tax dollars end up supporting the education of their children.

Just wanted to jump in and say that states have the responsibility to educate children, not parents. The parents responsibility is to ensure that the child is available for schooling, the state takes care of the rest. Parents, of course, can opt out of this system if they prove they are using an approved alternative to what the state offers.

I believe that this system of who is responsible for education stems from the belief that the benefit from educating children is to society as a whole, not to the parents, and so we all should pay for that benefit.

I have no children and feel perfectly fine paying taxes for public education, providing it is spent responsibly. And I'm aware that it is the 'spent responsibly' part that is often lacking.

But can't we empirically observe our own emotions (maybe not thoughts) by feeling them? If empirical involves use of senses, then I can be certain of my emotions. I think.

Deserves it's own thread. I don't think we hear/see/smell/taste our emotions. Is the sense of touch involved? Arguably, for some emotions associated with highly agitated body-states. But it's even clearer if you turn to thoughts: we are sure we have them, but not through empirical observation.

Good example I remember. Imagine to yourself a building you know really, really well. Then try to count the number of windows (or doors, or whatever works) in your mental image. It's not really an image at all - is it? If you don't know how many steps there are up to the door of the NYPL on Fifth, you can't find out by counting them in your mental image.

people who desire children and have them also end up having screwed up children. given the ratio of those who find parenthood necessary vs the other side, it is highly unlikely for the numbers of those resisting parenthood to end up abandoning children be higher than the former.

in another case, i pay taxes. those with a zillion children also pay taxes. they benefit from the school system, but my tax dollars end up supporting the education of their children.

Just wanted to jump in and say that states have the responsibility to educate children, not parents. The parents responsibility is to ensure that the child is available for schooling, the state takes care of the rest. Parents, of course, can opt out of this system if they prove they are using an approved alternative to what the state offers.

SLB, only in the united states, afaik.

I believe that this system of who is responsible for education stems from the belief that the benefit from educating children is to society as a whole, not to the parents, and so we all should pay for that benefit.

I have no children and feel perfectly fine paying taxes for public education, providing it is spent responsibly. And I'm aware that it is the 'spent responsibly' part that is often lacking.

at the risk of lighting another powderkeg, why should the state be involved in what to teach a child? some would argue that the public education system is so flawed and inconsistent that it has resulting in a certain dumbing down of america.

it is precisely because of this that something like the 'no child left behind act' and high school recruitment for the military became possible.

I'm still confused. Deviant. Freaky. Abnormal. Special. Words words words all in a negative connotation for people who do not have children. People who do not have children may be a whole lot more "normal" than me. Why put people in categories in the first place? We all have our shades of deviancies and other than the ontogeny recapitulating thing, everyone ends up on the same species catalog card.

They also educate the generation that's going to be running things when you're too old and sick and quite likely too clueless to be having any effect on the world whatsoever.

I'd assume you'd like that generation of leaders to at least be well-educated.

They also educate the generation that's going to be running things when you're too old and sick and quite likely too clueless to be having any effect on the world whatsoever.

this is not an argument to deflect the fact that the childless citizens pay for those who choose to have children. your kids are certainly not going to be looking after me when i am 'too old and sick and quite likely too clueless to be having any effect on the world whatsoever'. or are you offering?

well..what i would really like is to have parents take the responsibility of providing their children with a stellar education. if they cannot afford it, they should probably rethink their decision to have children.

how many presidents of this country came from the public education system?

this is not an argument to deflect the fact that the childless citizens pay for those who choose to have children. your kids are certainly not going to be looking after me when i am 'too old and sick and quite likely too clueless to be having any effect on the world whatsoever'. or are you offering?

well..what i would really like is to have parents take the responsibility of providing their children with a stellar education. if they cannot afford it, they should probably rethink their decision to have children.

well, there was that dumbass Abe Lincoln. Too bad you weren't around to tell his parents not to have kids if they could not afford stellar private schools.

Recently?

Lyndon Johnson

Richard Nixon

Jimmy Carter

Ronald Reagan

Bill Clinton

None were born to wealth. All of them grew up in small towns and attended their local public high schools.

ETA - Gerald Ford.

well, there was that dumbass Abe Lincoln. Too bad you weren't around to tell his parents not to have kids if they could not afford stellar private schools.

i believe the state sponsered education began after the 1840s while abe lincoln was born a good 30-35 years earlier.