They also educate the generation that's going to be running things when you're too old and sick and quite likely too clueless to be having any effect on the world whatsoever.
this is not an argument to deflect the fact that the childless citizens pay for those who choose to have children. your kids are certainly not going to be looking after me when i am 'too old and sick and quite likely too clueless to be having any effect on the world whatsoever'. or are you offering?

Are you kidding? You can't possibly be that thick. Beyond the question as to who shows up at your door and brings you meals and helps you up from the floor when you have fallen and checks to be certain you've taken your meds, this is a big wide world you most likely will be living in. Unless you're planning on going off to some cabin in the woods where you don't rely on public policy and the leaders that establish it and run things, you'd better hope that SOMEONE in charge has some education and some sense.

Even off in your isolated cabin in the woods where you've gone to die in peace, and you're not interested in things like libraries and musicians and artists to make your world more pleasant, and farmers to grow your food and a road to get to your cabin and an ambulance to haul you out and doctors to cure your bedsores and police to run off some jerk that has threatened you and fire protection to rescue you, I'll bet you're hoping not to one day look out into those bucolic woods and see a squadron of bulldozers heading toward you because some nitwit in charge has decided we don't need those woods anymore.

It IS another generation that's going to be running things when you're old and sick and need public policy to make some sense. I for one am hoping that at a bare minimum, that generation is as well-educated as possible.

And, by the way, my children are no longer dependent upon the public school system in any way. Does that mean that I, too, should no longer have to pay school taxes?

Because even if your answer is 'no,' I'll gladly continue. These generations coming up are the ones that will continue to shape the world in which I live. And the world in which you live, as well. And their influence will be felt more and more strongly; as my influence, and the influence of my generation continues to be felt less and less.

Do you really not get that? Sometimes I read your posts and I think you're just the devil's advocate and you're bored to tears and you don't believe one single weird thing you've said.

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how many presidents of this country came from the public education system?

Recently?

Lyndon Johnson

Richard Nixon

Jimmy Carter

Ronald Reagan

Bill Clinton

None were born to wealth. All of them grew up in small towns and attended their local public high schools.

ETA - Gerald Ford.

i can only consider two as 'leaders', but you are right. regardless, these people did have opportunity and the right teachers(re carter's famous homage to his teachers). do you envision a carter or a clinton in our future? teachers are paid a pittance and schools are recruiting grounds for the army.

They also educate the generation that's going to be running things when you're too old and sick and quite likely too clueless to be having any effect on the world whatsoever.
this is not an argument to deflect the fact that the childless citizens pay for those who choose to have children. your kids are certainly not going to be looking after me when i am 'too old and sick and quite likely too clueless to be having any effect on the world whatsoever'. or are you offering?

Are you kidding? You can't possibly be that thick. Beyond the question as to who shows up at your door and brings you meals and helps you up from the floor when you have fallen and checks to be certain you've taken your meds, this is a big wide world you most likely will be living in. Unless you're planning on going off to some cabin in the woods where you don't rely on public policy and the leaders that establish it and run things, you'd better hope that SOMEONE in charge has some education and some sense.

Even off in your isolated cabin in the woods where you've gone to die in peace, and you're not interested in things like libraries and musicians and artists to make your world more pleasant, and farmers to grow your food and a road to get to your cabin and an ambulance to haul you out and doctors to cure your bedsores and police to run off some jerk that has threatened you and fire protection to rescue you, I'll bet you're hoping not to one day look out into those bucolic woods and see a squadron of bulldozers heading toward you because some nitwit in charge has decided we don't need those woods anymore.

It IS another generation that's going to be running things when you're old and sick and need public policy to make some sense. I for one am hoping that at a bare minimum, that generation is as well-educated as possible.

And, by the way, my children are no longer dependent upon the public school system in any way. Does that mean that I, too, should no longer have to pay school taxes?

Because even if your answer is 'no,' I'll gladly continue. These generations coming up are the ones that will continue to shape the world in which I live. And the world in which you live, as well. And their influence will be felt more and more strongly; as my influence, and the influence of my generation continues to be felt less and less.

Do you really not get that? Sometimes I read your posts and I think you're just the devil's advocate and you're bored to tears and you don't believe one single weird thing you've said.

i think you are very emotional. having been in that place before myself on several other issues, i am going to do you a favour...a favour others did to me. i am going to ignore you.

i think you are very emotional. having been in that place before myself on several other issues, i am going to do you a favour...a favour others did to me. i am going to ignore you.

:blink: :D :lol:

Finally, some progress! Maybe I can get something else done today.

No matter you consider them as leaders or not, they all did hold the office of president.

Carter graduated from a service academy--Annapolis--FYI.

i have to concede there. it was an unfortunate afterthought i added re the presidents bit.

how would you rate the public school system tho'?

No matter you consider them as leaders or not, they all did hold the office of president.

i have to concede there. it was an unfortunate afterthought i added re the presidents bit.

Life is too short for me to spend any of it engaging you on that question.

And Johnson graduated from Southwest Texas State Teachers' College.

Life is too short for me to spend any of it engaging you on that question.

yes, i kinda figured that. unfortunately, that seems to be the case for many many people too.