• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I try to save drippings whenever I roast a chicken (assuming I don't need the drippings for the roasted chicken preparation).   So this morning I took a spoon of solidified chicken drippings, heated

same as yesterday honeydew and blueberries with fat freee cottage cheese whole grain toast with p-nut butter and sour cherry preserves

Had some leftover pizzza dough...Preheated the oven while I did morning things, then threw it on the stone, with lots of fresh thyme (one of the herbs that's growing well), EVOO, S&P...A minute be

Posted Images

Bagels and lox, with Zabar's bagels and Costco smoked salmon.  I ordered a Passover sweets assortment from Zabar's and thought I'd get some bagels.  No crust, but that's what happens when they're stored in plastic bags for several days.

3 hours ago, StephanieL said:

Bagels and lox, with Zabar's bagels and Costco smoked salmon.  I ordered a Passover sweets assortment from Zabar's and thought I'd get some bagels.  No crust, but that's what happens when they're stored in plastic bags for several days.

How many days does it take to get a order filled from Zabars? I want to send my brother who lives in Sacramento a a birthday present. 

16 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

I’ve sent both and think you’re better off with Russ & Daughter’s. 

I’m sending knishes (and a babka) that were specifically requested from Zabars.

On 3/13/2021 at 4:43 PM, bloviatrix said:

How many days does it take to get a order filled from Zabars? I want to send my brother who lives in Sacramento a a birthday present. 

Give it a week from order to arrival.  My order was shipped USPS Priority 2-day--that was the cheapest option available.  With the knishes, you might need to choose a faster shipping option.

5 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Knishes from Zabar's appear to require overnight delivery...which will cost whatever they tell you.

Goldbelly delivers knishes (and I realize the request was for Zabar's)  from a variety of sources, including Yonna Schimmel's...https://www.goldbelly.com/search?q=knish

The whole thing started when I thought about ordering from Yonna Schimmel, but it's wildly expensive - I love my brother, but not THAT much. 🤪 And they don't have babka. What can I say, my brother lived on the UWS for over 30 years and never more than a half mile from Zabars. Some habits are hard to break.

15 minutes ago, bloviatrix said:

The whole thing started when I thought about ordering from Yonna Schimmel, but it's wildly expensive - I love my brother, but not THAT much. 🤪 And they don't have babka. What can I say, my brother lived on the UWS for over 30 years and never more than a half mile from Zabars. Some habits are hard to break.

Let us know what it ends up costing from Zabar's; I'll be interested. Some of their boxes and baskets have shipping included, same as R & D and Katz's, and I do realize that included means we're just paying more for the product.

Been without a kitchen for a week or so having work done. Back at it this weekend and first real meal was breakfast/brunch Saturday for a small group. As I said previously, I thoroughly enjoyed the Ottolenghi Masterclass so basically recreated his brunch. Labneh with fruit, thyme, sumac and orange oil. Smoked marinated feta, yoghurt, granola, lots of good bread and then when everyone was suitably full, shakshuka.  The marinated feta and labneh with fruit were the stars of the show. Beautiful to look at and flavor bombs. 

On 3/15/2021 at 12:41 PM, joethefoodie said:

Let us know what it ends up costing from Zabar's; I'll be interested. Some of their boxes and baskets have shipping included, same as R & D and Katz's, and I do realize that included means we're just paying more for the product.

I ended up ordering from Yonah Schimmel.  Zabar's was charging $80 for overnight shipping which was more than double the cost of 8 knishes and a babka that I intended to send. This cost $109 all in (Goldbelly manages it and they claim shipping is "free" - I sent 10 potato and 2 kasha)

Per Significant Eater's request, for her birthday (working) breakfast...

IMG_3783.thumb.jpeg.d6bf371be2b4bc6e54e56b5b50e53320.jpeg

Blueberry pancakes (I made a few banana for me as well). Don't make pancakes often, these came out really good, with like 15% white whole wheat flour. And kefir in lieu of buttermilk.