Did the kefir make them even lighter than usual?   

I think they look delicious. If you had invited me over for breakfast, I would have scarfed down a few. Even more if you had thrown in a few walnuts.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I try to save drippings whenever I roast a chicken (assuming I don't need the drippings for the roasted chicken preparation).   So this morning I took a spoon of solidified chicken drippings, heated

same as yesterday honeydew and blueberries with fat freee cottage cheese whole grain toast with p-nut butter and sour cherry preserves

Had some leftover pizzza dough...Preheated the oven while I did morning things, then threw it on the stone, with lots of fresh thyme (one of the herbs that's growing well), EVOO, S&P...A minute be

Posted Images

1 hour ago, prasantrin said:

Did the kefir make them even lighter than usual?   

I think they look delicious. If you had invited me over for breakfast, I would have scarfed down a few. Even more if you had thrown in a few walnuts.

I don't really know if they were lighter than usual, since usual doesn't happen very often, and I can't remember the last time I did.

But - they were really good, as far as pancakes go. We each ate 4, and then I made the rest of the batch and we had 3 more a piece. I actually use kefir in place of buttermilk pretty much wherever buttermilk is called for; ity's usually stocked, whereas buttermilk isn't. I have the powdered buttermilk on hand, but that's for really special occasions!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A rare Sunday morning where we weren't running out to one of the boy's sporting activities (rain delay) meant I actually had time to make breakfast. Buttermilk pancakes!!! With bourbon-barrel aged maple syrup for me. (regular maple syrup for everyone else) 

Have you ever said to yourself, Sylvia (assuming your name is Sylvia), you know what would improve matzoh brei? A slightly runny yolk.

IMG_7431.jpg.0838de6346efb89e549ee2cf31be3da1.jpg

This took a few tries to get right. The matzoh is spiced, for a Passover-friendly fattoush salad. I made it about 3 weeks ago when my family came over for brunch, and no one liked it but me. So there was a lot left over.

Mine, either. But she didn't have to be - my grandfather had very simple tastes. He was perfectly happy with a bowl of sour cream and a banana, or some nearly salt-less chicken soup.

15 hours ago, small h said:

Mine, either. But she didn't have to be - my grandfather had very simple tastes. He was perfectly happy with a bowl of sour cream and a banana

One of (the sour cream and banana) my (maternal) grandfather's favorite things.  Along with vaser aun milkh mit tsuker. I think he might've waved a tea bag near the vaser, and used that same tea bag like a dozen times.

2 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

I think he might've waved a tea bag near the vaser, and used that same tea bag like a dozen times.

We're pretty sure that's how my grandmother made chicken soup, only with a chicken instead of a teabag.

20 hours ago, small h said:

... my grandfather had very simple tastes. He was perfectly happy with a bowl of sour cream and a banana, or some nearly salt-less chicken soup.

Simple tastes are one thing.   Bad cooking is another.   It sounds like your grandmother cooked well if simply.   You can always add salt at table; you can't take it out.

There were a few things she made well, but on the whole, she was not a good cook. One Thanksgiving, she cut up the turkey and boiled it, because she was doing something else with the oven. Dessert was always orange or green jello made in an old Nescafe jar so that it tasted like instant coffee. She did make this concoction with matzoh farfel and honey that I had an unnatural love for, though.