• 2 months later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

you've never been to minnesota in the winter, have you?

if he was really eating good food, his shit wouldn't stink so bad.

gobi is 10 today.  

Posted Images

Friends of ours were visiting for the weekend, with their 10-year-old dog Matilda. Macy and Matilda have met many times before, and Macy always does her best to engage Matilda in play. But Matilda is a little whacked out from several bouts with Lyme disease, and either just stands staring into space, rocking a little from side to side, or curls up in a corner and goes to sleep – which is what she did Saturday evening while we were lounging around the living room. Undeterred, Macy kept digging into her toy chest and pulling out her most cherished toys, taking them over and dropping them in front of Matilda and then standing there watching/waiting for a response. Finally, she pulled out an end of a rawhide knot-bone that I didn't even know she still had, and laid it in front of Matilda's nose. Matilda roused and started chewing on it, and Macy lay down and watched, thumping her tail while Matilda devoured the remains of the bone.

Finally, she pulled out an end of a rawhide knot-bone that I didn't even know she still had, and laid it in front of Matilda's nose. Matilda roused and started chewing on it, and Macy lay down and watched, thumping her tail while Matilda devoured the remains of the bone.

Macy is the hostess with the mostess!

• 3 months later...

Ziggy is adorable! He looks like a great big dust ball or mop! Where is he under all that stuff?

If I liked dogs, I'd want Anuk or Benson. And maybe Fanny.

Where's the pug?

Some fine looking dogs there. I have a crush on Snoop Dogg - that lamb-like face gets me every time.

• 5 months later...

Interesting article about dogs by Adam Gopnick in the August 8, 2011 New Yorker. (subscription required)

Actually, it is as much about people as dogs.

There's definitely a sort of revolution happening in the understanding of dogs and our relationships with them. The owner-as-pack-leader mentality is turning out to be tragically wrong (except in extenuating cases). Two books (among many) that present this new understanding are Temple Grandin's Animals Make Us Human and Alexandra Horowitz's Inside of a Dog. Should be required reading for anyone who owns a dog or is planning to get one. They're not the set-it-and-forget-it creatures that so many people would like to believe.

Interesting article about dogs by Adam Gopnick in the August 8, 2011 New Yorker. (subscription required)

Actually, it is as much about people as dogs.

There's definitely a sort of revolution happening in the understanding of dogs and our relationships with them. The owner-as-pack-leader mentality is turning out to be tragically wrong (except in extenuating cases). Two books (among many) that present this new understanding are Temple Grandin's Animals Make Us Human and Alexandra Horowitz's Inside of a Dog. Should be required reading for anyone who owns a dog or is planning to get one. They're not the set-it-and-forget-it creatures that so many people would like to believe.

Yes, he discusses that and specifically cites Horowitz.

Since I hope to get a dog someday (not all that soon, though: I keep telling Paul that when he goes, I'm getting a dog :P ) I found it a very helpful article.

• 11 months later...

Just catching up as I can, here, but yes: Horowitz is the bee's knees! She, Grandin and others are hopefully offsetting the horrid advice from that 'whispering' guy.

Suzanne, you should get a dog before anybody goes.

Yeah, I know, but too much else is in flux right now. Anyway, I'd have to see if I can afford the extra antihistamines I'd need. I love dogs but they don't love me. :( I've heard that Havanese are hypoallergenic; of the two in our building, one is a sweetie and the other (same owners) is super hyper yippy. Hmmm . . .

• 3 years later...