A friend's boyfriend is arriving in NYC tonight from western MA and he has promised to bring me wild ramps. Usually I make a risotto with these, sauteeing the chopped bulbs at the beginning and adding wilted, chiffonaded greens at the end. I finish with a bit of pecorino and a generous amount of black pepper. Any other ideas?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend's boyfriend is arriving in NYC tonight from western MA and he has promised to bring me wild ramps. Usually I make a risotto with these, sauteeing the chopped bulbs at the beginning and adding wilted, chiffonaded greens at the end. I finish with a bit of pecorino and a generous amount of black pepper. Any other ideas?

Sounds good. Maybe boil off some white wine before adding the rice. When done, mount with butter, drizzle generously with unfiltered new crop olive oil of very high quality.

Made duck eggs with ramps this morning. Over the top delicious. I chopped the tops of the ramps, and chopped the greens. Sauteed the tops in butter, then added the greens for a short bit, then poured in my whisked duck eggs. Low flame, folded and folded until soft-set...a little salt and pepper, and that's it.

What are ramps? The same thing as "rampion" in Rapunzel?

I don't think I've ever seen them out here anywhere.

They're kind of like a cross between garlic and leeks. Here's what they look like. I remember picking them when I was a little kid in North Carolina. Delicious!

I've never seen them in California. ;)

Squeat

Edit to add that my mom used to make a wonderful potato and ramps soup.

Made duck eggs with ramps this morning. Over the top delicious. I chopped the tops of the ramps, and chopped the greens. Sauteed the tops in butter, then added the greens for a short bit, then poured in my whisked duck eggs. Low flame, folded and folded until soft-set...a little salt and pepper, and that's it.

You inspired me! I made a duck egg fritatta with ramps and Hudson Valley Camambert on Sunday morning!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Dr. Johnson's disdain notwithstanding I know I am looking forward to their imminent arrival in the market. I like using them in risotto, either solo or with asparagus. It's nice to finish either one of these risotti with some pecorino. My basic method is to saute the sliced white part until tender, then proceed with the risotto, adding the shredded leaves near the end. If I am using asparagus and the ramps are especially strong-tasting I sometimes blanch the leaves a bit.

Ramps are also delicious grilled, be it stove-top or outdoors, or roasted. These I finish with just a little olive oil and sea salt. Sauteed, they make a good base to serve soft-shell crabs or scallops or shrimp on.

A search yielded a post by Steven Dilley in which he describes making a ragout of ramps,morels and asparagus. That sounds fantastic.