• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I first saw a spoon rack like that at the Frida Kahlo house in DF. I've seen others but they've all been very old and not for sale. I plotzed (!) when I saw this one.

This is from kalypso's special store and this girl is a Power Shopper once she starts. I'm in awe of her shopping talents!

Keep posting, keep posting while you are still on a pajarete high. Joan took charge of everything very nicely once able to escape to us. You weren't missed all that much. But the photos, oh my, more please.

Keep posting, keep posting while you are still on a pajarete high. Joan took charge of everything very nicely once able to escape to us. You weren't missed all that much. But the photos, oh my, more please.

Joan has made me redundant is so many ways.

448370144_cb6a3039dc.jpg

Carved wood, this time fresno (ash) as opposed to the cheaper pine. Cristina went back and interviewed the guy. He was a full step or two above everyone else. My regret is that I didn't buy more from him.

448372787_7a8671e00e.jpg

I'm hoping Cristina steps in soon and describes the food event at the fair in Uruapan. For me it was the highlight of the trip! Dozens of indigenous women making masa on their metates and then hand patting tortillas faster than I could use a press. I have video I'll upload later.

What's the best way to "color" a new wooden spoon? Anyone experiment with this? The best permanent staining I ever got was from caramelizing sugar. Blueberries turn them blue (duh) and not exactly attractively. Oh, it's egg dying day tomorrow. Must make kitchen smell like vinegar. Think I'll try dying spoons instead of eggs. Wooden chopsticks, maybe. Tons of those in drawers. Then tie them to back fence with copper wire. Ah, so much to do.

The woven trivet things under the bowls in your last photo. Can these be bought at the Spanish Kitchen, too?

What a sharp eye!

I've only seen them to steady large pots. You should check with El Paso Imports in Sta Barbara. I know they had the bigger ones.

What's the best way to "color" a new wooden spoon? Anyone experiment with this?

The carver mentioned above also had these:

448730569_9959cd0094.jpg

I don't know for sure, be they seem rather toxic to me!

Bloviella said:

I know I've asked this before, but when are you branching into kitchenwares?

Wouldn't that be a gas? No time soon. I'm a little overwhelmed with things as they are and I really don't want to "dilute" my message which is New World Food. I have flights o'fancy and get off track but hopefully I come back to point. But I just can't imagine people would be as excited about wooden spoons as I am.

A few more shots:

448739103_9ad742ed70.jpg

Real goat birria. What a treat this was. The goat was very fatty but it didn't bother me and I normally hate fatty meat. It was like buttah!

448740310_943300b149.jpg

A full bowl of birria love. Cristina took us right after picking up Kalypso from the airport.

448751261_a2becad360.jpg

We went to this place for the shrimp cocktails but then most of us decided to get the intriguing molcajetes. Good decisona as they were great. Mine was shrimp, octopus and cactus. I was in heaven. The molcajete holds so much heat it stayed simmering for almost 10 minutes after being served.

448762954_ddc98da121.jpg

A couple of troubadors seranade us during dinner. Patzcuaro.

448766974_a582d06f98.jpg

Making blue corn tortillas from the Purepecha kitchen. Uruapan.

448751261_a2becad360.jpg

Ok, that looks like something out of Little Shop of Horrors. "Eat me Seymour" :blink:

Fine. You fuss and I'll eat!

448778954_eee79e6643.jpg

Jahuacatas are masa tortillas with a spread of pureed beans that are ripped and folded just so to produce a fat layered snack. I later had them in a chile sauce with pork at the divine Mirasoles restaurant in Morelia.

448781029_295a322066.jpg

Squash blossom soup. Uruapan.

448772407_fbb844365b.jpg

This Purepecha cook seals her comal onto the drum with a paste of wood ash. Wood ash is also CaL, or lime.

448779075_433fbd00b7.jpg

Various blule corn treats.