Please post a photo of the sign the guy painted for you!

Courtesy of Cristina. I had to chop my head off because I'm so vain, not shy.

451724148_a8d93e4d9b.jpg

Do you have a straight on photo?- we can then make lettering for you, your truck or your window :blink:

This is a great thread. oy Mexico.

You won't believe this but someone has already made a commercial font!

As much as I love it, I haven't figured out how to integrate it into my current "marketing plan".

Right now the sign is above the door of the storage room. It looks great and it seems happy.

L'Omni sez:

Okay so let's say we want to go to this area of Mexico, but we need to have some beach vacation too....what beach town would we choose?

I would say it's just plain a different trip and you'd need to pack twice as much and you're going to come back and tell me I'm wrong and how much room does a bikini and a tube of chapstick take anyway and I'm going to say you'll want to spend every minute packing as much in as much fun as you can and you're going to say you know what you want and that's beach and ......you win.

I don't know but I did pick up a brochure on the beaches of Michoacan and I'll check when I get in to the office but I will go on record as saying I don't think it's a great idea.

I just saved us five or six posts!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want it all! I want it all!

Some beach, some not.

I have to look at a map.

Michoacán has many, many kilometers of Pacific Ocean coast, Omni, but they're mostly the kind you don't want: overly commercial, big tourist hotels, etc. Frankly, I've never gone to any of those beaches because my vacation preferences are very different.

The parts of Michoacán that I took the MF/CH contingent is far inland, about 3 to 5 hours by road from the west coast.

Kindly remember that I would be happy to tour you and Eyebrows around in the parts of Michoacán where I normally give tours. We can talk about it via PM or email if you're interested in something like that.

Some beach, some not.

I have to look at a map.

The family with whom I am staying has gone to the beach for a few days. It takes them about three hours or so to get there. They rent a villa in Ixtapa, a beach town that I am sure you would hate as much as I do. It does, however, have a few things that are of great value to me: discos and trendy shops and restaurants that appeal to the "wild on and get drunk and party" crowd, and packed-in side-by-side high-rise hotels that appeal to the "I don´t really want to be in Mexico" crowd.

The reason that I value those atributes so highly is because they suck off the sorts of folks to whom those things matter.

Leaving for me the charming and very Mexican town of Zihuatanejo, which, although right next door, remains largely untouched by the tourista blight.

Omni, I think you would love staying at either of these two hotels:

La Casa Que Canta

Hotel Villa del Sol

You could fly into Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo and spend a week or so on the beach, and then into Morelia where Cristina could collect you and provide you with one of her wonderful tours of Michoacan.

I´ll tell you a couple of wonderful things...

The family with whom I'm staying has a cook, Chila. She's a Purépecha Indian woman of about 60, and a magician in the kitchen. Each morning she rises early to prepare, among other things, "el agua del dia." And then she announces it to all: "El agua del dia es fresa." "El agua del dia es papaya." "El agua del dia es guayaba."

Let me tell you, el agua del dia es muy delicioso.

And today for comida (the main meal served at about 2pm), she prepared Sopa Tarasco, which I've had in several restaurants. Hers was better. Much better. Ambrosial, in fact. She set before each of us an individual bowl of soup, and drizzled in a generous spoonful of crema. Then for us to sprinkle over, she offered a smaller bowl containing crumbled pieces of chile negro that she had just roasted on her comal.

Oh yes, I love it here.

But for now, am having to pay for "internet cafe," and haven't gotten my camera out, so missives tend to be brief.

Surely, I'll do better after I settle in.

Won't I?

:blink:

And today for comida (the main meal served at about 2pm), she prepared Sopa Tarasco, which I've had in several restaurants. Hers was better. Much better. Ambrosial, in fact.

Can you ask her if she uses beans or not? Apparently there are two schools of thought on this.

it sounds like a gas. <ignoring your pleas for a chance to settle in and the fact that you have to pay for internet access> When you get a chance, can you describe the kitchen? Does she use a metate? Does she make corrundas, churipo and jahuacatas? <please don't be impressed. I only just learned what these things are> Is she amused that you are interested in her cooking?

We miss you!

And today for comida (the main meal served at about 2pm), she prepared Sopa Tarasco, which I've had in several restaurants. Hers was better. Much better. Ambrosial, in fact.

Can you ask her if she uses beans or not? Apparently there are two schools of thought on this.

it sounds like a gas. <ignoring your pleas for a chance to settle in and the fact that you have to pay for internet access> When you get a chance, can you describe the kitchen? Does she use a metate? Does she make corrundas, churipo and jahuacatas? <please don't be impressed. I only just learned what these things are> Is she amused that you are interested in her cooking?

We miss you!

She does use beans and has promised me her recipe.

Yum.

We miss you!

She does use beans and has promised me her recipe.

Yum.

When you get her recipe, we'll compare notes! Don Rafa, of the eponymous restaurant in Pátzuaro, gave me his hand-written recipe a couple of years ago when I took the guy from the NYTimes on my Pátzcuaro culinary tour. Don Rafa claims to have invented Sopa Tarasca in the early 1960s. It's apparently not an indigenous soup at all, but it sure is wonderful.

Playa Troncones; fairly low key and a variety of budget to fairly plush accomodations, about 20 minutes drive up-coast from Ixtapa. We paid $35 USD a night for a fan-cooled thatch-roofed room with private bath (no hot water, but you won't miss it.) at Quinta d'Liz.

Just to keep this food related, we were not terribly impressed by most of the meals we had in our three days there in early February. The best place was a nighttime only taco stand on the one, main street. In Zihua one day, we ate at La Sirena Gorda, which was pretty good seafood and meats, along the Tourist Walkway on the harbor. Cigar aficionados might enjoy La Casa de Tequila store in Z.

It is a 3 1/2 hour drive on the new autopista from Pátzcuaro to Troncones.

Some beach, some not.

I have to look at a map.

Jaymes, those hotels look lovely but they are way too fancy and big for the kind of beach experience we want. The place Anonomi posted looks good and up our alley, but the no hot water thing kills it - I'm happy with no electricity, but not without hot water.

Would we have to fly from Zihua to Morelia?

Jaymes, those hotels look lovely but they are way too fancy and big for the kind of beach experience we want. The place Anonomi posted looks good and up our alley, but the no hot water thing kills it - I'm happy with no electricity, but not without hot water.

Would we have to fly from Zihua to Morelia?

No. You could book round-trip from NYC to Morelia for, for example, a two-week vacation and then rent a car for one of the weeks. You could make the easy 3-4 hour drive that Lonely Planet describes thusly: "The more tropical areas...reached by spectacular highway 37 down through the hills from Uruapan."

And then drive back to Morelia by a different route, where you could drop the rental car and Cristina could collect you for a tour.

Or vice versa, which might be preferable because if you take your beach vacation last, you´ll be more familiar with the area thanks to Cristina´s expertise, and you´ll also have had the most relaxing portion of your trip just before you must return to real life.

And also, even if you don´t stay at Casa Que Canta, I´d suggest you at least have one meal there. It´s a very small hotel that basically consists of private, bougainvillea-bedecked casitas that tumble down the cliffs to the sea. It´s a wonderfully romantic place to have dinner. The restaurant is an open-air terrace suspended high above the ocean and the view is spectacular.