memesuze checking in here, after recovering from my travels with the gang – I am fully well from my cold, have just about finished with my taxes, have slaved a week at work, and have finally uploaded some photos to supplement those by the rest of the gang. [disclaimer: I have not cropped any of these, or otherwise massaged the images – I'm still mostly at the point and shoot stage]

When Jaymes and I arrived in Guadalajara, Cristina kept us out of too much trouble until RG returned from his tequila-boosted coffee run at Lake Chapala. One day, we spent wandering around Tlaquepaque, an arts and crafts treasure trove. Of course, the only photos I took were of the lunch we had at a seafood restaurant. I'm not including those depicting the remains of the ceviche or the guacamole, because we inhaled and the plates were empty. I'm sure you've all seen the remains of ceviche and guacamole.

Here's Cristina's Pulpo with Garlic, lots of garlic459080648_073291e1fb.jpg

and my Pescado Veracruzano

459080684_eaa9d8f5f6.jpg

As someone who consumes a great deal of fresh, barely cooked vegetables, I find a food trip to Mexico somewhat lacking. This may be the closest I got to vegetables the whole trip. But I took one for the team and tried to ensure I didn't get scurvy – lotsa lime with my tequila.

459096208_206b065171.jpg

One morning in Guadalajara, I got up before the others, and walked down the Plaza Tapatia to the Instituto Cultural Cabanas. Inside are wonderful, overwhelming murals by Orozco. However, this visit I was taken by an outdoor arrangement.

A family

459080720_b761155b3e.jpg

a table

459080726_6ef91d0163.jpg

a couch

459122010_00a47b4046.jpg

a chair and its reverse side

459080732_b69c50c803.jpg

459080742_8769ceb665.jpg

I'll keep adding to these in a minute....

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favorite things about GDL is how Beatriz Hernandez, who back in 1542 decided where Guadalajara would be sited, makes me feel. Here she is at night.

459085038_f0201e2779.jpg

On the road to Patzcuaro [right, cristina?], you might be inclined to pass this place by – don't.

459085076_8cd31fb381.jpg

Here's where the group enjoyed molcajetes, pictured above by RG, and I had a camarone coctel with at least twenty big ones in it.

459085054_44c021dbc5.jpg

Here's La Palapa's wall of fame, including the Virgin of Guadalupe

459085066_8ced0e2d62.jpg

Part of the doings in Uruapan was a huge tent where all the artisans had a mercado - it felt as long and as wide as a football field, but that may have been the crowds and the overwhelming numbers of items for sale.

This next is out of focus but shows some of the pinas [cristina?]

459103641_710b7b17de.jpg

and cocuchas

459103675_be536ac616.jpg

All in all, it was overwhelming, and I was feeling the worst of my cold, so the next day I opted, as did the others, not to return for another day trip to Uruapan. Perhaps we missed out on some wonderful items from the competition, but that's just incentive to return another year.

I did get a bean pot [looks just like RG's ones] for 20 pesos, a terrific set of wooden salad forks for 100 pesos [no picture before I gave them to my house-watchers], and a small wooden bowl with spoon, probably for salt on my table.

One day in Patzcuaro, nothing on the menu looked good to me except this

459103681_5fe0818669.jpg

As mentioned by one of the others, we had to return to the Patzcuaro basilica one morning for the breakfast of champions, corundas and atole.

459103685_be1de1cad6.jpg

In the bottom of this picture of a refreshment cart next to the corundas lady, you can see the pail where the wrappings are deposited. I think the big stock pot to the right has the wrapped corundas in it and the pot to the left has atole. [Cristina, please correct any of my misinformation here.]

459096156_f6a6a12b9c.jpg

And then there was the serenade for RG, Kalypso, Cristina and Jaymes

459096170_5b0290b3c0.jpg

As Jaymes and RanchGordo have said, Morelia was beautiful, especially when the center of town is your focus.

459096214_dc699b3db4.jpg

Here are some views of the Palacio de Gobierno [i think - I had resolved to write down what I was taking a picture of this trip, but began to fail in this as time went on]

459096224_dbac19d503.jpg

459096226_2c80cb2556.jpg

The only really great item from our disastrous outing to Emilano's was the fried parsley.

459098984_bec19b4012.jpg

In the spring, the jacarandas bloom – as Jaymes and I were flying in GDL, we saw some huge ones out in the middle of nowhere. This picture of jacaranda "snow" with some bougainvillea on the left was taken in Morelia in a park next to the Contemporary Art Museum that I dragged Jaymes and RG to when I needed more than colonial art and arches.

459098990_2086ba3c4a.jpg

And finally, the jacarandas with Jaymes' favorite Morelian streetlamps, which graced walls everywhere

459098986_060c6cdf31.jpg

And finally, the jacarandas with Jaymes' favorite Morelian streetlamps, which graced walls everywhere

459098986_060c6cdf31.jpg

Oh my. That´s gorgeous. I´d love a copy of it to frame so I could look at it and sigh poignantly when I am far from Morelia.

Let´s see...Mother´s Day is coming up... And lots of folks have said I´m a mother.....

In fact, several of them right here on MF. :lol:

459085054_44c021dbc5.jpg

And here I thought I knew what a shrimp cocktail was. This is the first time I've seen one that looks like an actual cocktail. Are you meant to drink the liquid? Does it have alcohol in it? It looks a little like a bloody mary.

Those statues in the park are wonderful. Cristina, do you know....are they by Bustamante? They sort of look like his work.

The sculptor of these whimsical chairs is Alejandro Colunga Marín, born in Guadalajara in 1948. His work is exhibited in museums all over the world and he's won many, many prizes for his lost wax technique bronzes.

I love them dearly. My favorite is this one, known as Silla Orejona:

460376761_210f6f782d.jpg.

It looks innocuously cute enough, but like much Mexican humor, it's a political albur (double entendre). The back rest of the chair is a caricature of Carlos Salinas de Gortari, ex-president of Mexico and well-known for his bald head and huge ears.

459098986_060c6cdf31.jpg

Oh my. That´s gorgeous. I´d love a copy of it to frame so I could look at it and sigh poignantly when I am far from Morelia.

Let´s see...Mother´s Day is coming up... And lots of folks have said I´m a mother.....

In fact, several of them right here on MF. :lol:

I took it with you in mind, dear, I'll see what I can do

459085054_44c021dbc5.jpg

And here I thought I knew what a shrimp cocktail was. This is the first time I've seen one that looks like an actual cocktail. Are you meant to drink the liquid? Does it have alcohol in it? It looks a little like a bloody mary.

This is shrimp cocktail Mexican style, ever so much better than any you've had in the past. There's no alcohol in it and you can easily make it yourself.

Ingredients for Shrimp and Broth

At least 15 large shrimp per serving, in the shell

2-3 large cloves garlic

Half a a medium white onion (reserve the other half)

1 chile serrano, split tip nearly to stem

Tsp sea salt

Water to cover

Bring the water and all other ingredients EXCEPT SHRIMP to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer. Add shrimp, shell on, and simmer till shrimp are cooked through, pink but not tough. Remove shrimp from broth, peel, and cool. Reserve and chill broth. Ditch the peels, the garlic, the chile and the half onion.

Ingredients for Shrimp Cocktail

Cooked peeled shrimp

Tomato catsup

Minced white onion

Minced chile serrano

Small-diced cucumber

Small-diced tomato

Roughly chopped cilantro

Small-diced avocado

Sea salt to taste

Reserved chilled shrimp broth

Bottled salsa to taste

Limones

Place 15-20 shrimp in a large glass. Add a TBSP or so of each of the vegetables and the catsup. Add shrimp broth to the top of the glass. Add sea salt to taste. Each eater adds bottled salsa and/or more catsup to taste, or both. Add a big squeeze of limón.

This is typically eaten like soup, with a spoon, accompanied by saltine crackers and/or tostadas--tostadas are simply whole crisp-fried corn tortillas, no toppings. You do indeed eat it all, including the liquid.

You will take one bite and think you have died and gone to heaven. Anita, our non-MF/CH traveling companion, says the flavors of this shrimp cocktail exploded in her mouth and hooked her forever. I say AMEN and buen provecho!

Report back here after you've tried it, please.

PS: The shrimp cocktail glass in memesuze's photo is a chavela. http://mouthfulsfood.com/forums//index.php...15entry795382