• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when i applied for my student visa at the american embassy in delhi in 1993, the interviewer asked me what i thought i would get my phd in. contemporary american literature, i said. which writers, he asked, and i named vonnegut among others. it may have been affectation but while stamping my forms he said, i have never understood the indian fascination with vonnegut.

i don't know if it was an indian fascination, but he was an important part of my late teens and early twenties. i think "slaughterhouse five" was the first post-modern novel i read--i can't tell if its literary inventiveness or its moral vision had more of an effect on me. i read everything else by him that i could find for a while before losing track of him in the 90s. i probably don't estimate his work as highly now as i once did (though "slaughterhouse five" is an undeniable masterpiece) but the world is surely poorer without him.

<begin tanabutler mode>He used to be somewhat of a regular at the coffee shop in Dag H. Plaza (which I think is now some sort of a milkshake place). One morning he asked a bashful young employee if she would go out with him. She giggled and blushed, then tried to vanish. Her co-worker snapped at her the moment he stepped out the door "do you have any idea who that was??? That's Kurt Vonnegut! I would pay to date him."

And so, Kurt V. missed his chance of dating a 19 year old by mistaking blue contact lenses for intellect.

</end tababutler mode>

when i applied for my student visa at the american embassy in delhi in 1993, the interviewer asked me what i thought i would get my phd in. contemporary american literature, i said. which writers, he asked, and i named vonnegut among others. it may have been affectation but while stamping my forms he said, i have never understood the indian fascination with vonnegut.

i don't know if it was an indian fascination, but he was an important part of my late teens and early twenties. i think "slaughterhouse five" was the first post-modern novel i read--i can't tell if its literary inventiveness or its moral vision had more of an effect on me. i read everything else by him that i could find for a while before losing track of him in the 90s. i probably don't estimate his work as highly now as i once did (though "slaughterhouse five" is an undeniable masterpiece) but the world is surely poorer without him.

i couldnt agree more with you. vonnegut and his books babysat me through most of my youth. i cannot quite express in words how sad and empty i am feeling right now.

eta

but while stamping my forms he said, i have never understood the indian fascination with vonnegut.

that's because indians are obsessed with the idea of fatalism.

...but he was an important part of my late teens and early twenties. i think "slaughterhouse five" was the first post-modern novel i read--i can't tell if its literary inventiveness or its moral vision had more of an effect on me. i read everything else by him that i could find for a while before losing track of him in the 90s. i probably don't estimate his work as highly now as i once did (though "slaughterhouse five" is an undeniable masterpiece) but the world is surely poorer without him.

My sentiments exactly, I read Slaughterhouse when I was 15 and thought it was so important...

This is a sad day indeed.

RIP

One of the few authors to this day whose oeuvre I have read almost in its entirety. I thought at the time, earlier in my life, that he was quite funny. I don't recall if I understood any of his deeper philosophical thoughts about the meaning of life. Maybe a little but I have my doubts.

He used to appear in the Imus show.

A sad day.

I read Cat's Cradle at 13 by mistake as he was pigeonholed as a SF writer. The deeper meanings were lost on me, but there was something that was awakened. Slauterhouse was required hipster/ cool reading for my generation, but it was Mother Night that spoke most deeply to me. Life's perversions and twists vis a vis Howard W. Campbell still resonate.

I read everything up until Slapstick and then found that for some reason he stopped speaking to me, but I have always held a tender spot for his influence on my adolescence and young adulthood.

R.I.P.

I can only echo. Seems that he got to a lot of folks in their adolescence, including me.

Heard that he'd been "ill" for several weeks after hitting his head in a fall. Does anyone know if that wretched ice storm was responsible?