• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember which I read first, but like so many of you, I worked my way through his entire oeuvre.

His nonfiction was just as entertaining as his fiction; Wampeters, Foma, and Granfaloons was a rollicking good read.

Allow me to repeat what he once claimed was his favorite joke:

Q: Why is cream so expensive?

A: Because cows hate to squat on those tiny little bottles.

Godspeed, sir, and thanks for the fun.

speaking of vonnegut's favourite jokes..

Being a humanist means that you try to behave as decently, as honorably, as you can without any expectation of rewards or punishments in an afterlife. When we had a memorial service for Isaac [Aasimov] a few years back, I spoke at it and said at one point, 'Isaac is up in heaven now'. It was the funniest thing I could think of to say to an audience of humanists. Believe me, it worked - I rolled them in the aisles. If I should ever die, god forbid, I hope people will say, 'Kurt is up in heaven now'. That's my favorite joke. - Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without A Country.

He used to appear in the Imus show.

Damn it, I was going to say that until I unfortunately re-read the thread. Well, actually, it didnt stop me at all, did it? :lol:

People are so complicated.

I read several of the Vonnegut classics and loved them in the mid-sixties, but there came a time...

He's one of those writers one must read in adolescence and young adulthood. I'm sure he's still being read and appreciated.

He's one of those writers one must read in adolescence and young adulthood. I'm sure he's still being read and appreciated.

Yes, so long since I've read him, I can't remember much about it. But a big name, for sure. NY1 has been running a sweet clip of him interviewed by Budd Mishkin.

My all-time favorite commencement speech. On C-SPAN. I taped it. Should find it and watch again. Especially touching at the end, he summed up his speech with his delightful humor. What does a graduation class want for a speech? Magic. After a sensitive, kind and wonderful talk, as he said nothing, he pulled two bunches of flowers out of his sleeves. Brilliant.

For a period of time, (1986ish) I was the manager at Squid Roe, on 77th and 3rd. The owner of Squid Roe, Cockeyed Clam and I think one or two other UES fish factories with equally cutsie names, lived in the same building as Vonnegut. On occasion when the owner needed cash at night ( you all can make your guesses as to why he needed large amounts of cash late at night) I would deliver it to him after closing out the registers.

I shared the elevator a few times with Mr. Vonnegut, and he was gracious to my bumbling attempts to express my enjoyment of his work. Of course, it was 2am, and I was carrying one of those plastic bank zipper things. I'd be nice to potentail crazy people in confined spaces too.

For a period of time, (1986ish) I was the manager at Squid Roe, on 77th and 3rd. The owner of Squid Roe, Cockeyed Clam and I think one or two other UES fish factories with equally cutsie names, lived in the same building as Vonnegut. On occasion when the owner needed cash at night ( you all can make your guesses as to why he needed large amounts of cash late at night) I would deliver it to him after closing out the registers.

I shared the elevator a few times with Mr. Vonnegut, and he was gracious to my bumbling attempts to express my enjoyment of his work. Of course, it was 2am, and I was carrying one of those plastic bank zipper things. I'd be nice to potentail crazy people in confined spaces too.

As always, my tangential thought process:

Butterfish Hole was one of the others? I cant think of the 4th one. I used to go to all of them when I was young and poor. Good garlic bread, bottomless salad & fresh fish (& lobster) w/baked potato at low prices.

And didnt that owner sell the entire fleet of restaurants to the Rev. Moon's corporation, who then advertised on the menu "fresh from the waters of Glouchester, Mass", when they had just finished buying up almost all the fishing operations there?