NJ Butcher stores

I usually shop at Esposito's in East Hanover, with the new Whole Foods in West Orange as my second choice. Both have excellent, high quality meat, with good butchers who trim carefully. Esposito's is reliably about $3 to $5 cheaper than WF, but a few $ per pound over ShopRite and Kings. I like Vila Meats in Caldwell, but their schedule (close at 530 on the dot) is tough for me, and they usually have a limited set of choices.

NY Daily News mentions Mastriano's in Bloomfield as a potential contender. I'll have to check it out.

Mastriano's Quality Market 1058 Broad Street, Bloomfield, NJ 07003 (973) 338-6880

For us, lamb and ham are the big sellers, and we do some filet mignon roasts, whole tenderloins and prime rib roasts. We also make a homemade Italian meat pie with ham, salami, pepper, prosciutto, ricotta cheese, mozzarella ... it's a big thing around Easter for Italians. I'm going to my cousin's, and I think we're having lamb. We usually have antipasto first, a pasta course and a few different meats, and, of course, tons of pastries and cake.

Prime in Jersey

• Like 1

Maresca's Country Style provisions, in Sergeantsville, Deleware Township, Hunterdon County. They are a gem, and a trip back in time. ..it is worth a trip from across the state to experience this place..and don't worry if the glass case is empty, they have pretty much everything in the meat locker. Pick up their pate Louise,(smoked ham pate) , pancetta, and their slab bacon . Dry aged meats, and home baked breads from a neighbor if you get there early enough.

Kocher's Continental Meats in Ridgefield and the Union Pork Store in Union are 2 of the finest German/Polish butcher shops in the state. I've only been to Kocher's once, but they have a fine reputation for not only German sausages and franks, but prime beef as well. The Union Pork store is in my area. I'm not all too familiar with many of their products, but there are 4 German butcher shops in Union (Union Pork Store, Gaiser's, Lutz's, and Fritz's) and it seems that the consensus in Union is that the Union Pork Store is the best. Old timers say that you can get products here that other places have stopped making. There was a mention of it with a picture in New Jersey Monthly a few years back. Their bratwust is the best I've had anywhere. Someone I know of who lives in Pennsylvania travels a couple of hundred miles round trip to buy their bratwurst. Homemade franks are very good as well.

• 10 months later...

I've been very pleased lately with the Green Village Packing Company. It's primarily a restaurant supply butcher that sells to the public on Th/Fr/Sa. It's a good sized operation, perhaps 8 large fridge trucks.

Prices are excellent. I paid $11 a pound for superb ribeye, well marbled and very clean looking. Their hanger steak is also very good. It was something like $8. as I recall. They also offer tri-tip, which is very unusual in NJ. It's good meat.

They had a number of German sausages and hot dogs, so they're on my list to try, as well.

Green Village is a small hamlet, tucked in south of Madison, east of New Vernon. I believe it's legally part of Chatham Twp. Britten Road is a left off Green Village Road, just past the post office, and about a mile from the Hickory Square Mall.

Green Village Packing Company

68 Britten Road

Green Village, NJ

973-377-0876

• 3 weeks later...
Kocher's Continental Meats in Ridgefield and the Union Pork Store in Union are 2 of the finest German/Polish butcher shops in the state. I've only been to Kocher's once, but they have a fine reputation for not only German sausages and franks, but prime beef as well. The Union Pork store is in my area. I'm not all too familiar with many of their products, but there are 4 German butcher shops in Union (Union Pork Store, Gaiser's, Lutz's, and Fritz's) and it seems that the consensus in Union is that the Union Pork Store is the best. Old timers say that you can get products here that other places have stopped making. There was a mention of it with a picture in New Jersey Monthly a few years back. Their bratwust is the best I've had anywhere. Someone I know of who lives in Pennsylvania travels a couple of hundred miles round trip to buy their bratwurst. Homemade franks are very good as well.

Both Kocher's and Swiss Pork store are excellent, I have write ups of both on the blog:

http://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/2006/08...-kochers-meats/

http://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/2007/05...iss-pork-store/

• 2 months later...

Jean Stevens of the Herald News has an article about the dearth of young sausage makers. The art of making sausage is eroding as machine made wurst becomes prevalent.

Haledon Pork Store in Haledon.

Real Kosher Sausage in Newark

A&C Pork Store in Woodland Park / West Paterson and

Stefan & Sons Meat Store in Clifton (a regular at the Montclair Farmer's Market)

Stuff it!

CAMARONES CON CHORIZO AL AJILLO (Garlic Shrimp and Sausage)

Serves 6. From "Elsie's Turkey Tacos and Arroz Con Pollo" by Elsie Ramos c. 2007. Used by permission of John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil

4 to 5 large chorizo links (about 1 pound) diced in 1/4-inch cubes

1 small onion, peeled and finely diced

2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely diced

2 pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp

Freshly ground black pepper

Pour 1 teaspoon of olive oil into a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the chorizo and stir well. Cook, stirring occasionally, until it starts to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and mix well. Cover again and cook, stirring occasionally, until it starts to soften, about 5 minutes.

Uncover the skillet, add the shrimp, raise the heat to high, and let the mixture start to sizzle. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, to coat the shrimp with the chorizo, until the shrimp are pink, about 5 minutes.

Transfer the mixture to a bowl, drizzle with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, and season with pepper. Serve immediately.

• 8 months later...

Anyone have any recommendations south of say....78? New Brunswick area?

went to Joes Meat Market in South Bound Brook the other day for some simple pork chops, and hot Italian sausage and had to "order" so ended up going to Wegmans. I understand ordering things like beef cheeks, etc. but a bone-in pork chop?

I work close to Princeton, so I either hit up Whole Foods, but unfortunately that's about the best it gets around me that I know of. (sans Griggstown for Poultry)

We have a few "meat markets" in town for sausages, german/polish and a few Brazilian and Portuguese places, but just curious if anyone else has any other recommendations.

Jean Stevens of the Herald News has an article about the dearth of young sausage makers. The art of making sausage is eroding as machine made wurst becomes prevalent.

The guys at Belgiovine's in Montclair make their sausage by hand. Two brothers who were butchers downstate bought the place last year from the original brothers-in-law. I can attest to their skills, I worked there till last month.

The guys at Belgiovine's in Montclair make their sausage by hand. Two brothers who were butchers downstate bought the place last year from the original brothers-in-law. I can attest to their skills, I worked there till last month.

I haven't been in Belgiovine's in quite a while. I used to buy pasta and cheese there.

I haven't been in Belgiovine's in quite a while. I used to buy pasta and cheese there.

The store was completely remodeled last summer. Still the same guys back in the kitchen turning out the fresh pasta. Nick & Joe passed along their method for making the mozz when they sold the place & it's as good as ever.

The effects of the recession have been obvious on their business over the last year though.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

The Bergen Record has a nice article on Westwood Prime Meats. Its owner was the local meat dealer for Julia Child, James Beard, and other residents of Greenwich Village.

Petruso doesn't advertise it, but during his 17 years working in Greenwich Village, he helped create such recipes, as a go-to meat source for cookbook author James Beard and other chefs. Including, on occasion, Julia Child. She needed a rack of lamb and said she was writing a recipe that would call for 20 minutes' cooking time. Petruso replied that the rack needed 45 minutes in the oven.

Salvatore Petruso

"She was kind of annoyed," Petruso said, but he continued to insist that "she should write the proper time on the recipe." It turned out Child was accustomed to cooking in France with a smaller, baby lamb, Petruso said.

"When I told Jimmy, he said, 'Don't worry about her, don't lose any sleep,' " Petruso says with a laugh.

Westwood butcher