Sorry to bring this thread up again, but I just came across this article in the chronicle and thought it was worth passing on.

i am still waiting for the media to release the details of the medication he was on now or whenever. i'd like to know. we should know. but we wont.

I thought I heard someone was doing blood tests to figure this out.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should we know? Is it really anyone's business? Can one really say that it was a specific medication that caused him to murder? I don't think so. This was a mentally ill person, with a life-long history of mental illness.

I think this highlights another issue. Why are mentally ill people, with a life long history of mental illness, wandering around the streets? We know they don't / won't / can't be responsible to take their medication.

We, as a society, accept the fiction of normal behavior until they shoot a bartender and two auxiliary police officers, or push a woman in front of a subway train, or burn their child to drive out devils, or gun down 32 people.

Why should we know? Is it really anyone's business? Can one really say that it was a specific medication that caused him to murder? I don't think so. This was a mentally ill person, with a life-long history of mental illness.

To think that anyone should know what medication someone was taking is ridiculous. Ever hear of right to privacy?

And to the issue raised by Rail Paul, didn't we used to put more mentally ill people in places like Willowbrook and Creedmore? That didn't work so well either.

To think that anyone should know what medication someone was taking is ridiculous. Ever hear of right to privacy?

To some extent, your right to privacy dies when you do. Now, when you kill 32 innocent people, maybe, just maybe, other people have a right to know what you've been up to.

And to the issue raised by Rail Paul, didn't we used to put more mentally ill people in places like Willowbrook and Creedmore? That didn't work so well either.

I don't think anyone wants these back, but it seems they were shut down without being replaced by anything else at all. If someone doesn't have a family that can take charge, the only option seems to be involuntary commitment and hospitalization. An expensive, short term and likely not very good option.

If a kid is having problems at U of I , ongoing counselling sessions are a condition of enrollment. I always thought that was a good idea.

i think we should know.

ssri stories

bbc panorama on seroxat...paxil in the usa

on another note, off-label use of drugs

black box label

antidepressants

a controversial character

all i am saying is...if pharmaceutical companies think that they can advertise prescription medication on television and print and weigh the savvyness of the layman to 'ask their doctor for' happy pills by name and brand, i think some of us have the right to know the other little details...like if said happy pill throws users into mania or a murderous rage.

Breggin is a fraud.

all i am saying is...if pharmaceutical companies think that they can advertise prescription medication on television and print and weigh the savvyness of the layman to 'ask their doctor for' happy pills by name and brand, i think some of us have the right to know the other little details...like if said happy pill throws users into mania or a murderous rage.

Is anyone saying anything other?

I thought I posted earlier, but it didn't seem to stick. The pharmaceutical advertising, like the pharmaceuticals themselves, is regulated by the FDA. If the regulation is inadequate, that's where complaints should be addressed. In the US, I mean, of course.

possibly. or not. it is not my area of expertise. i cannot go forth and label him a fraud. hence the term, 'controversial'.

Is anyone saying anything other?

?

do i always have to disagree with someone to voice a thought?

Oh, please not! Try on autism for a while. Nobody went there. And I personally most likely would choose to side with Dr. Johnson rather than Ariana Huffington. Just an outside hunch. My little peer-group-unvetted brain does balk at this recent quote (WSJ 4/11 pgA12): "A recent editorial in NATURE called for a moratorium on human stem-cell tests in heart disease because there is no consensus yet about how the cells work." No side steps allowed.

Oh, please not! Try on autism for a while. Nobody went there. And I personally most likely would choose to side with Dr. Johnson rather than Ariana Huffington. Just an outside hunch. My little peer-group-unvetted brain does balk at this recent quote (WSJ 4/11 pgA12): "A recent editorial in NATURE called for a moratorium on human stem-cell tests in heart disease because there is no consensus yet about how the cells work." No side steps allowed.

i dont know about autism, but i know a cat with severe adhd...at least, thats what i suspect. maybe it's autism. we can discuss that if you want. personally, i think its her colour. calicos always have 'issues'.