concise and all that. but there is a fundamentally broke system. and it is not working. my stance is not a war against ssris or medicine, but against the system of distribution and the marketing of it.

re your quoting that depression is the 11th leading cause of death in the US, i was wondering if you could be mistaken..

i got this.."Suicide is the 11th leading cause of death in the United States across all age groups, the third leading cause in the 10–24 years of age group and second in people between the ages of 25 and 35 (www.cdc.gov/ncipc/wisqars 2002). Mood disorders are strongly associated with suicidal behavior, with an estimated 60% of completed suicides having a lifetime diagnosis of mood disorder (Mann, 2003; Turecki et al, 2001). "

surely, even not the entire percentage of the clinically depression needs long term pharmaceutical support. there are chronic conditions and then some that are managed. will you be disagreeing with me here?

having said that, when a widely prescribed, aggressively marketed drug has serious side effects, it is time to look into it to fix it.

i have heard of such things before. the question is... by whom? by the fda or by the drug companies themselves?

By the drug companies but monitored by the FDA. There is no other way to do it.

my problem with ssris is not their prescription and usage, but the way the receipients are not monitored. at the end of the day, what is the measure of 'acceptable risk'? and who decides that?

Society.

is depression/suicidal tendencies an american phenomena?

No.

what are the statistics for other countries?

Similar.

what are the statistics for other countries where anti depressants are prescribed with gay abandon?

Similar.

is it a genetic 'problem'?

Yes.

are there not ranges for any kind of depression/suicidal tendency.....from that which are alleviated by a good old 'getting it out of the system' talk in order to get out of depression to severe brain chemical imbalance that is been passed from generation to generation?

Yes. The figures I quoted are for major depressive disorder (aka clinical depression). I repeat. Depression is the 11th leading cause of death in the US.

i know that many women rely on drugs to get out of the post partum funk. how do other women in other countries where prescribing antidepressants is not common cope?

Worse.

and finally, how many countries have television and print advertisements that aim to 'nudge' the patient to ask about certain prescription drugs?

Most SSRIs are out of patent and so are not advertised.

secondly, distrubingly, i have also heard that general practioners sometimes prescribe antidepressants and its ilk. this practice, imo, is dodgy.

With that I agree.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The details are tedious, but what the FDA is obliged, authorized and empowered to do is very complex, governed by legislation, and inevitably constrained by budget. The FDA cannot simply adopt the attitude that manufacturers need to jump higher hurdles, or need to get drugs re-approved periodically. Congress has to be involved.

New legislation widening the powers (and responsibilities) of the FDA. In particular requiring continued monitoring of drugs.

• 3 months later...