• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many questions...how do they know he's a loner? Why are they having trouble finding information about him, if he was a registered student? But why oh why did they not lock down the campus after the first shooting? A vague, "We had information the shooter had left". Not good enough.

So many questions...how do they know he's a loner? Why are they having trouble finding information about him, if he was a registered student? But why oh why did they not lock down the campus after the first shooting? A vague, "We had information the shooter had left". Not good enough.

It seems too early to second guess the police response. In an unfortunate circumstance where there is a shooting at an apartment complex, there wouldn't normally be a response to lock down a 1200 acre area around that building.

I don't know what happened, but I do wonder if this will lead Universities to have some sort of uniform way of disseminating information in a hurry. I mean, how do you notify 25,000 students that an incident is in progress. Do all professors wear pagers? Should there be a system to send out mass text messages to tell students to get to a computer and check email? A big siren?

I don't know what happened, but I do wonder if this will lead Universities to have some sort of uniform way of disseminating information in a hurry. I mean, how do you notify 25,000 students that an incident is in progress. Do all professors wear pagers? Should there be a system to send out mass text messages to tell students to get to a computer and check email? A big siren?

From an e-mail we got from a friend who is a librarian at VT:

>Communication of the event was very much a case of who had a cell phone

>or wireless device before the bandwidth got constipated. (The campus

>web server soon crashed, taking down a big chunk of web-based email

>capacity with it.) I don't know how instructors in class were informed

>of the events, since the emergency phone message system goes to office

>phones, not personal ones. With MP3 players taking the place of car

>radios, I'm not surprised that people in transit to or across campus

>would not have heard the newscasts.

and

>Fortunately, the police soon started warning people through car-mounted

>loudspeakers every few minutes; I think this was a useful innovation

>since the town shooter incident at the beginning of the academic year.

>Even after the announcements, there were still people gawking outside.

>Some big clusters in front of a couple buildings gave the impression

>that they might have been caught between the go-inside order and some

>sort of building-evacuation instructions.

Here's a case where less technology is more. A system of sirens, similar to those that were used during WWII and the cod war, would have issued a warning immediately, in an unmissable way.

Here's a case where less technology is more. A system of sirens, similar to those that were used during WWII and the cod war, would have issued a warning immediately, in an unmissable way.

From what I saw on ABC last night, VT has such a system already in place - loudspeakers all over the place, allowing school officials to speak to the entire campus. The system was not used.

There will be a ton of second-guessing, to state the obvious. Hopefully something useful will come of it.

I am troubled by the media's emphasis on the shooter being, as I have heard many times, "from South Korea" or referred to as a "South Korean". Factually accurate but misleading and overemphasized I think. Uh, he may not have been a citizen but he came to the US as a small child, went to school here, spent almost 2/3 of what appears to have been a miserable life here. He was "from" South Korea the way that I am "from" 68th Street.

It seems too early to second guess the police response. In an unfortunate circumstance where there is a shooting at an apartment complex, there wouldn't normally be a response to lock down a 1200 acre area around that building.

deleted at admins request

Edited by Rail Paul

My brother's best friend teaches English at VT. No word yet.

Very distressing.

Squeat-hopefully your brother's best friend is fine-According to a student who was in the building at the time of the shooting, the building is used for engineering classes.

My brother's friend escaped injury, though he watched the entire thing unfold from his office window.

Turns out 15 of my brother's former students now attend Tech. (He used to teach at a private high school in the area, and is now a professor at another university in nearby Roanoke.) None of them were injured, fortunately, but, as he put it, "I’m sure many will have lost new friends, once the dust settles."

I see the "perp" wrote some creepily violent plays. I am in favor of pre-emptively interning all students who have done likewise, certainly including any who contribute to or maintain creepy web-sites.

I can do without the relentlessly moronic media coverage. I rather miss the Imus story.

I see the "perp" wrote some creepily violent plays. I am in favor of pre-emptively interning all students who have done likewise, certainly including any who contribute to or maintain creepy web-sites.

I can do without the relentlessly moronic media coverage. I rather miss the Imus story.

I'll state the obvious - if this happened one week earlier Imus would probably have kept his job. Remember how the Chandra Levy story went on and on and on until 9/11? Then, hardly a peep.