Daniel goes to China

As SethG said, scouring the world for the freshest ingredients, I find myself in China.. :lol: Really, I have been here for like 4 days or maybe 6.. I have a bunch of meals, but I will go in no particular order..

Staying at the Crowne Plaza in Shenzhen I had dinner by myself one night.. Really nice place called Marco Polo in the hotel..

Started with two cold dishes.. Cold pork tripe with bitter melon and sesame and spinach and ginger.. I use a proper amount of Chinese Vinegar..

470871053_dfe7f30e81.jpg

Next up was beautifully BBQ'd pork.. The Chinese do oink better then no other..

Beautiful pieces of crispy skin sliced perfectly and place on top of juicy pork..

470871057_06fb9e65c1.jpg

Plum dipping sauce of course..

470871073_0add0f1ac0.jpg

Pulled right from the tank. Salted shrimp with garlic... Head on, shell on.. I have learned to deshell them in my mouth..

470856442_b3ca3b7528.jpg

Finally a crab noodle with enoki mushrooms.. Forgot the name.. But it was great...

470856446_daab2f32ef.jpg

I think dinner was like 25 bucks.. An expensive dinner for the area considering it was in the Crowne Plaza hotel in gorgeous surroundings..

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was from lunch yesterday... We stopped by this huge restaurant about an hour outside of Shenzhen... I am traveling with local business associates so all of the ordering is done with out my input.. Its hard for me to take photos with out interupting business..

Chicken feet in light ginger and garlic sauce..

470898830_237483e285.jpg

This is goose and pork.. There is this thick kind of yellow sauce that I have been seeing pork served with.. I had this same dish at a different restaurant last night for dinner... Fantastic..The goose had bones and its a little tricky but once you get the hang of it, it is easy to debone meat in your mouth..

470898838_db3575e36a.jpg

Bean curd and scallions:

470898842_b33b1f3209.jpg

Greens.. On the bottom right of the photo you can see the pork dipping sauce..

470923101_f334082696.jpg

Interesting.. Since baked bread is not something found in China there are all sorts of fried and steamed breads.. This reminds me of an Indian Dish.. Fried with scallions in it..

470923109_191dbe22a4.jpg

Beef cooked on sizzling hot lava stone: I must also say the peanuts are different in China.. They are so tight and crunchy.. You can actually feel the crunch of that little stem thing on the inside...

470923145_3e981b41bf.jpg

Corn soup:

470923135_c72b0afc67.jpg

Fruit plate:

Notice the hot peppers.. They know I like Sichuan Food so they brought out these peppers..

470923117_27cab8b7c8.jpg

Lunch was less the 20 bucks...

My camera did not have a charge while in Hong Kong but will be going back there so I can show you my favorite breakfast there.. Its this spicy beef broth and noodles with some sort of curry sauce... But this is what the hotel breakfast looks like..This is a travelers hotel obviously so, there are all sorts of interesting foods made to make people feel less homesick.. When in China or anywhere, I stick with the local favorites.. I dont need to have a cream filled dessert thats been sitting out in 80 degree weather for g-d knows how long...

The donut gondola..

471082761_f7aee7f548.jpg

Assorted congee.. Regular, miso soup seafood, beef, and I forget.. I had the beef...

471082755_0274b60226.jpg

Beef: Not photgraphed but, today,I had some really interesting birds nest soup for breakfast.. It was awesome, can someone explain what birds nest is.. Is it an egg soup and then something else poured into that?

471082741_82d86ed62d.jpg

String beans and ham:Hey, it works...

471082751_1b33979383.jpg

Ugly look plate.. Its early morning.. I eat breakfast around 6am.. I love noodles for breakfast.. Nothing better.. Some dumplings, I think spinach, there is some kimchee, why not!, string beans, and some English Sausage.. This was probably plate three or four or something...

471082757_b11421d548.jpg

Beautiful pieces of crispy skin sliced perfectly and place on top of juicy pork..

470871057_06fb9e65c1.jpg

470871073_0add0f1ac0.jpg

Daniel, do you have any idea how they achieve this crisp skin? I've seen this at a lot of Chinese restaurants in the UK and am always amazed when I crunch down into it. So different from crackling you get or make at home when you roast pork. Its like they flatten it somehow and then that texture can't be beat.

According to Linda Bladholm in The Asian Grocery Store Demystified,

This is one of the more sought after and expensive delicacies in Asia. . . . it is the regurgitated spittle of a tropic swift, collect from large mountainside caves throughout Southeast Asia. Climbers risk their lives scaling bamboo scaffolding to retrieve the nests. The dried, hand-cleaned, teacup-shaped nests are very costly, and they are believed by Asiams to be good for the complexion and for curing various illnesses. The best grades are "white" nests and pink, or "blood," nests. Birds' nest is coveted mainly for its texture, which is a bland, soft, crunchy jelly.[sic] The nests must be soaked before using in special broths and to flavor sauces or soups. Definitely an acquired and expensive taste.

Well, you asked.

I too am in awe of that pork. And pretty much everything else, too.

My camera did not have a charge while in Hong Kong but will be going back there so I can show you my favorite breakfast there.. Its this spicy beef broth and noodles with some sort of curry sauce... But this is what the hotel breakfast looks like..This is a travelers hotel obviously so, there are all sorts of interesting foods made to make people feel less homesick.. When in China or anywhere, I stick with the local favorites.. I dont need to have a cream filled dessert thats been sitting out in 80 degree weather for g-d knows how long...

The donut gondola..

471082761_f7aee7f548.jpg

How could you resist a ride in the donut gondola?

470871057_06fb9e65c1.jpg

470871073_0add0f1ac0.jpg

Daniel, do you have any idea how they achieve this crisp skin? I've seen this at a lot of Chinese restaurants in the UK and am always amazed when I crunch down into it. So different from crackling you get or make at home when you roast pork. Its like they flatten it somehow and then that texture can't be beat.

The skin is made crisp from fying the whole pig in a fryer the size of an oil drum. Great pictures Daniel thanks.

Damn,

That is some exciting looking plates Daniel.

Is it customary or better manners, to de-bone in your mouth rather than gnaw on things like chicken feet? Is that a stupid question? Anyway, sensational pics, dude.

More, please

This is one of the more sought after and expensive delicacies in Asia. . . . it is the regurgitated spittle of a tropic swift, collect from large mountainside caves throughout Southeast Asia. Climbers risk their lives scaling bamboo scaffolding to retrieve the nests. The dried, hand-cleaned, teacup-shaped nests are very costly, and they are believed by Asiams to be good for the complexion and for curing various illnesses. The best grades are "white" nests and pink, or "blood," nests. Birds' nest is coveted mainly for its texture, which is a bland, soft, crunchy jelly.[sic] The nests must be soaked before using in special broths and to flavor sauces or soups. Definitely an acquired and expensive taste.

Well, you asked.

I too am in awe of that pork. And pretty much everything else, too.

Yikes.. Somethings are better left a mystery... Either way, fantastic!

Johnny D, the CHinese are expert deboners.. The foot is held in the chopsticks and a bite is taken.. They then debone the meat and spit the bones in a little bowl next to the plate.. Most things are like this.. The shrimp is deshelled in a swirling motion in the mouth.. Its cool to see because all the meat has bones in it.. It also helps when you have an army of workers being payed zero dollars to stand around you and remove your plate every 5 minutes.. No French cuts or countless hours removing little bones, the meat looks a lot like where it came from..

for example/

471779486_177565908d.jpg

This is one of the more sought after and expensive delicacies in Asia. . . . it is the regurgitated spittle of a tropic swift, collect from large mountainside caves throughout Southeast Asia. Climbers risk their lives scaling bamboo scaffolding to retrieve the nests.
You just have to wonder who originated this idea... and why.