mongo_jones

car rentals in the u.s

eenteresting. since paul, unlike steve, usually knows whereof he speaks, i will look into the possibility of an in-town pickup/drop-off.

eenteresting. since paul, unlike steve, usually knows whereof he speaks, i will look into the possibility of an in-town pickup/drop-off.

Thanks for the compliment, mongo, but Steve has been unfailingly accurate in cases where I've relied on him.

[rant] In our experience, Enterprise was the worst, trying to upsell us on insurance. Our credit card and own policies cover whatever needs to be covered. They would not listen to us when we said we did not want any of the extra insurance, but kept hammering away trying to get us to take it. Reminded me of missionaries, and you know how I feel about them. :lol: [/rant]

We almost never rent out of New York, but from some out-of-town location. Easy enough to do, since we can take a train to, say, New Haven, and can pick up a car right at the station. The best thing, after the cheaper rate, is that we bypass the horror of driving on the FDR or the West Side Highway or the Bruckner. Yeah, it means we have to ship home anything we buy while away, but that's why god invented book rate. (I realize this won't help mongo any, but what am I, his mother?)

$60 a day doesn't seem bad to me (not by comparison). And I'm pretty cheap.

[rant] In our experience, Enterprise was the worst, trying to upsell us on insurance. Our credit card and own policies cover whatever needs to be covered. They would not listen to us when we said we did not want any of the extra insurance, but kept hammering away trying to get us to take it. Reminded me of missionaries, and you know how I feel about them. :lol: [/rant]

I've had that happen with all of them, including Enterprise. I bet it correlates with how seriously the employee took the indoctrination sessions + how much sales personality he/she has going. I had a Hertz guy in St. Louis who was REALLY good on the insurance upsell, he almost had me convinced "yeah, it's not such a bad idea...." That guy is going to make a ton of $$ somewhere.

The owner of Enterprise is a friend of mine from high school. I rented one of his cars for our reunion last year. First day, the door lock froze up & I had to climb over the center hump & out the passenger door for the rest of the trip. I casually mentioned his name when I returned the car. They took 75% off the cost of the rental & gave me a 50% off certificate for my next rental. Now that's customer service! :ph43r:

Thanks for the compliment, mongo, but Steve has been unfailingly accurate in cases where I've relied on him.

He knows that. He just gets cranky when there are no anal probes. Drive safe, Mongo.... remember, it's probably still snowing up there :lol: .

Something to get quoted before hand is what the amount of the local taxes will be. I rented a car in Houston and the charge was $35 for the day. The taxes and airport fees took the entire rental to over $70. Get that up front.

as stated above, the rate i have from thrifty is inclusive of all taxes and fees (including that airport access fee). jesus, people, learn to read! don't make me fail you!

In NYC, if you want a part of the day rental, or even longer, as long as your driving distance is not great, Zipcar is hard to beat. Plus, they pay for the gas! and Tolls!

I've never had problems with Enterprise, who I use on CA trips. Here in NYC I pay for Avis, which though very expensive, almost never messes up and has very convenient curb side return.

I disagree about booking in advance though. One can get a MUCH cheaper rate say for a July 4th weekend if you book it in January than if you book it in May. They don't bill your card, so there's no risk if you end up not needing the car.

He knows that. He just gets cranky when there are no anal probes. Drive safe, Mongo.... remember, it's probably still snowing up there :lol: .

It only becomes warm enough to snow in June. Earlier than that the sky just keeps falling in huge sheets of ice.

For practice you should give up on the car rental and practice your cross-county skiing skills.

Minneapolis/St. Paul or other? Biking around here is great, even in the winter they clear the bike commuter trails before they clear the roads.

If you wanna cross country ski this is the place. Snowmaking at three parks, the City of Lake Loppet, Mora Vasaloppet a week later in Mora MN, the Birkie two weeks later.

I used to have to rent cars for weekday trips often. It was reasonably easy for me because my company only used one company (National) for all of their rentals. I was always amazed that even for a frequent renter there was significant play in the pricing if you called as opposed to booking online.

One curiosity when booking with a real person on the phone is that they are required to give you the complete rundown of taxes and fees: state tax, county tax, sports stadium tax, airport convenience fee, etc, etc. They always sound out of breath at the end of the list.