mongo_jones

car rentals in the u.s

i was in boulder for a couple of days this week. reserved a car through enterprise. chevy aveo or similar, it was supposed to be. they picked me up from the hotel (i took the express bus from the airport to boulder). got to the agency. asked the dude, so am i getting the aveo or similar? similar, he said. but it wasn't. it was a ford escape hybrid. same price, but better mileage*. this is now the second time that i've been given a more expensive car after reserving at the cheapest possible rate. the lesson for me: reserve at the cheapest possible rate, and it is quite likely they'll give you something better if their inventory allows it.

* horrible car though. where does ford get the people who design their cars' interiors?

i was in boulder for a couple of days this week. reserved a car through enterprise. chevy aveo or similar, it was supposed to be. they picked me up from the hotel (i took the express bus from the airport to boulder). got to the agency. asked the dude, so am i getting the aveo or similar? similar, he said. but it wasn't. it was a ford escape hybrid. same price, but better mileage*. this is now the second time that i've been given a more expensive car after reserving at the cheapest possible rate. the lesson for me: reserve at the cheapest possible rate, and it is quite likely they'll give you something better if their inventory allows it.

* horrible car though. where does ford get the people who design their cars' interiors?

I'm guessing most people (a lot of people?) reserve the cheapest car available, and the rental agencies only have so many to go around. If you get there after they run out of cheapies, you win. Worked for me in France – I'd reserved something compact and ended up with a C-Class Benz.

I'm guessing most people (a lot of people?) reserve the cheapest car available, and the rental agencies only have so many to go around. If you get there after they run out of cheapies, you win. Worked for me in France – I'd reserved something compact and ended up with a C-Class Benz.

Yep. In Maine, you can't count on that strategy. They're all running small operations there with not a lot of cars. Once it a while it works - "whoops, we ran out of compacts, free upgrade!"

One time tney wanted to give me an SUV. I said no way, those things are evil.

Is there any benefit at all to getting a car rental agency's car insurance to cover a less-than-24-hour cargo van rental?

Is there any benefit at all to getting a car rental agency's car insurance to cover a less-than-24-hour cargo van rental?

Check with your credit card company -- MOST have services that make rental car insurance entirely superfluous. I was in a crash last year in Los Angeles and did not buy ANY additional insurance from the rental car firm, but the $12,000 in damages was entirely covered by the Citibank card that I used to rent the car.

Check with your credit card company -- MOST have services that make rental car insurance entirely superfluous. I was in a crash last year in Los Angeles and did not buy ANY additional insurance from the rental car firm, but the $12,000 in damages was entirely covered by the Citibank card that I used to rent the car.

Though, are you renting the cargo van to move cargo? If so, this might be moving into some other type of insurance if the damage is done due to the cargo and not due to the fact it's an automobile.

$12 000!?!? Wow! Did you have to pay upfront, or was the process of making the claim relatively painless?

I am moving cargo, so I am a little worried about any damage that might be done during the move.

But most of the stuff is packed in cardboard boxes, I think, and cardboard doesn't do much damage, does it? I know at least 29 of the boxes are as I packed them (in cardboard), but I was told one of my boxes had to be palletized so there may be some wood going into the van in addition to the 29 other boxes that are just cardboard. Most of the boxes are relatively small (small enough for me to carry down 1 flight of stairs and help load into a moving van), but a few are large and heavy (but the mover guy carried them down the stairs himself, so they aren't unmanageably heavy).

Though, are you renting the cargo van to move cargo? If so, this might be moving into some other type of insurance if the damage is done due to the cargo and not due to the fact it's an automobile.

No, I wasn't. But again, I would advise to check and see what type of insurance is covered by the credit card companies before accepting and paying for insurance through the rental car company.

$12 000!?!? Wow! Did you have to pay upfront, or was the process of making the claim relatively painless?

I didn't have to pay anything. It was pretty darned painless except that the rental car company wouldn't rent another car to me that weekend and the nearby agencies were out of large vehicles. I was there for a show so I needed to haul a lot of booth stuff, so I had rented a very large SUV for pipe-and-drape and tables, etc...

Any recent car rental advice? I'm averaging about a rental a month and have been using Autoslash which up until they were purchased by priceline was excellent: if a booked rental dropped in price, they'd automatically rebook me at the cheaper price. Now not only do they not do that but rentals across the board are 30-40% more expensive.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

I've been pleased with rentals made through the Southwest Air site, on their card, especially with origination in a hub city like Baltimore (Payless) or Chicago Midway (Enterprise).

Will your rental originate at an airport or within a city?

I find rentals from Priceline name-your-price to be quite affordable, or rentals through Costco if you have a Costco card. But I think both only have rentals originating at airports (haven't investigated that thoroughly, though).

If you have Auto Club membership/insurance, you get a discount. If you fill up the gas before returning the car, you save. If you rent at most airports you pay more (taxes/soak the tourists fees) than renting in the city, but how do you get to the city?