• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

bad news: no omakase yet (maybe later this week?), as they just opened. (also, no liquor license so BYO for now. not that that it's bad news - just and fyi.)   good news: inventive (as advertised)

Once past the "unipalooza", I thought it was another clear and persuasive review. The only thing which brought me up short was the comment that "quality of nearly three dozen kinds of sushi and sashimi on the third and final page of the menu isn’t exceptional". Not having been, I don't have a view - but I the general view (including above) seems to be that the restaurant's fish is outstanding.

Once past the "unipalooza", I thought it was another clear and persuasive review. The only thing which brought me up short was the comment that "quality of nearly three dozen kinds of sushi and sashimi on the third and final page of the menu isn't exceptional". Not having been, I don't have a view - but I the general view (including above) seems to be that the restaurant's fish is outstanding.

fwiw (a great deal in my book), Richman said the same thing.

Richman:

Here's a summary of his sushi: It's pretty good. It's expensive. The cut rolls are ordinary, although I tried a special, called ``today's roll,'' that was clever, mostly because it had a striated white-kelp wrapper. It reminded me of a bleached barber pole. The individual pieces are more interesting, particularly bigeye tuna from Ecuador and horse mackerel dressed with ginger and chive.

...Of the 10 sushi-bar items prepared by Kosugi, seven were delightful, the other three merely very good. Of the 10 from the kitchen, which is supervised by his wife, Maho, not one was less than wonderful. This is cooked food on a par with the most ingenious in New York.

Note, the food everyone seems to love actually seems to be prepared by his wife.

This either/or style iof thinking continues to surprise me. I think the culinary fireworks of the cooked food might represent a fog through which it is difficult (in a brief survey) to appreciate the excellence of Soto's fish. I've yet to read any cogent writing on Soto's fish. Just flip comments. Each to his own I guess. Me, I ate a slammingly good piece of salmon nigiri last night. Belly with a thin layer of fat from next to the skin left on. Yikes. Not to mention his ika with a touch of salt and lime zest. Holy moly.

• 4 months later...

I really liked the food at Soto, but it's an unusual place and previous reviews I'd read didn't fully prepare me for it. Everyone tells you about the food from the sushi bar (Sotohiro) and the food from the kitchen (Maho, his wife). But it's actually a three-pronged attack: Sotohiro making elaborate cold dishes behind the sushi bar, another chef making sushi/sashmimi, and the kitchen - and a typical sushi bar experience is not really available.

All the details are at the Pink Pig, but for ease of reference, here's a summary of the rules:

Rule #1, Sotohirosan is in charge.

Rule #2. There will not necessarily be omakase. Seriously: don't expect it. Maybe call in advance and tell them you want it, but even then...

Rule #3. There is not necessarily much point sitting at the sushi bar.

Rule #4. Soto may run out of certain ingredients and dishes - early.

Rule #5, No talking at the sushi bar. Essentially. Oh, you can talk to your dining companion(s), sure.

Rule #6. Get anything with uni. All uni fans should have eaten here already, probably several times.

Rule #7. Don't forget the kitchen. You could order from Sotohiro's menu all night, but yes, the food from the kitchen is very good too.

• 4 months later...

We've been twice in the last couple months or so, the latest being last night with a group of 7 (including one 14 yo teenager). Not much to add about individual dishes which were about the same as nux's very good listing in an earlier post. However, Wilf may have been ordering from a different menu because we didn't have even one of Wilf's photographed dishes during either of our visits. <_<

I can say that the second visit was precipitated by a stellar dish from the first visit: a whole fried fish (sole, from the menu) which was expertly deep fried (in a wok?) and promptly served with a simple soy-vinegar dip. It's simplicity in a dish, as the only addition is a light flour coating and a bit of salt. During our first visit, our group of four ordered one to share. When the nom-noms subsided and the carcass stripped (I got the head and therefore, the tender cheeks), we ordered another, then another. So of course, last evening 3 were ordered for our table of 7.

The highlights from last evening's meal included the minute-steam tai (snapper), a vinegary snapper carpaccio, a stewed sablefish with turnips.

A special of deep fried soft-shelled crab had a light dusting of curry powder, which I thought overpowered the crab flavor, but the rest of my table loved it. Same too with a tuna tartare with a sweet sesame sauce, which again was delicious, but to my mind hid the flavor of the tuna.

I would also agree with previous posters that while the nigiri and rolls are tasty and fine in quality, the composed dishes, hot and cold, really are the reason to go.

Rather expensive and not a place to take a hungry growing 14 yo who kept mentioning wanting a steak to fill his belly. (We tried to get him a bowl of plain rice but were refused.) Also not a place for a balanced meal with veggies and carbs, which another dinnermate pointed out; it's all (fish) protein.

I admit I was still kinda hungry after, despite ordering liberally. We ended up filling in the chinks with after dinner gelati at Grom. Nom-nom.