why should i be ashamed to own non-stick cookware again?

Only tourists allow food to stick and you can't get a decent fond in a non-stick pan.

Or make a decent omelette.

ah, but it is so much easier to clean non-stick pots after making things like dal, which don't need a fond.

• Like 7

I swear, they are better (or mine are better in any case) when I don't use a non-stick pan. Its a textural thing. If the heat is high enough and you use enough butter, it's a snap.

Knives. Repeated experiments have taught me that I can show up anywhere and make a meal with whatever gear someone has in their kitchen.

As long as I bring my own knife with me.

Knives. Repeated experiments have taught me that I can show up anywhere and make a meal with whatever gear someone has in their kitchen.

I agree with this. I can make do with some pretty shitty cookware and a total lack of mixers, blenders, processors, etc., but I am realy hampered when I ask for a knife and they give me some wood handled steak knife that hasn't had an edge in over a decade.

I always bring my knives when I visit my sister. I have learned not to ask where the peppermill is since last Christmas when she told me peppermills were 'pretentious'.

I always bring my knives when I visit my sister.

Family issues on appropriate thread, please.

I swear, they are better (or mine are better in any case) when I don't use a non-stick pan. Its a textural thing. If the heat is high enough and you use enough butter, it's a snap.

Perhaps the secret is not the pan. :P

I always bring my knives when I visit my sister.

Family issues on appropriate thread, please.

So you've met her? :P

No chafing dish though.

Interesting that you added this. I just talked to, in between posting here, one of the top caterers in Santa Barbara (did Julia Child's Memorial) and they requested permission to not use chafing dishes because "they alter the food." :P

I agree with this. I can make do with some pretty shitty cookware and a total lack of mixers, blenders, processors, etc., but I am realy hampered when I ask for a knife and they give me some wood handled steak knife that hasn't had an edge in over a decade.

Several years ago I cut myself quite badly when I visited a friend for the weekend up the Mendocino coast and was trying to slice a tomato with the only knife he had. Thing was so dull it bounced off the tomato, but managed to be sharp enough to slice my hand wide open, thank you.

Since then, I take my knives anyplace I expect to be involved in food preparation.

Ah, yes, the fish poaching pan/pot/thang. I must figure out something else to do with it. Would make a handy jello mold.

Ah, yes, the fish poaching pan/pot/thang. I must figure out something else to do with it. Would make a handy jello mold.

I have used it more often for hefty, stuffed pork loins than I have for fish.

No chafing dish though.
Interesting that you added this. I just talked to, in between posting here, one of the top caterers in Santa Barbara (did Julia Child's Memorial) and they requested permission to not use chafing dishes because "they alter the food." :P
I only added that because Wilfrid did, above.

We do have a damned fish poacher though, bloody space-taking thing of beauty that it is, used once in our 16-year marriage (thus far).

On a positive note, I can't believe I survived without tongs for so many years. I was flipping the most delicate little discs of blood sausage with me tongs last night. Much better than chasing them around the pan with a fish slice. :P

I use chopsticks for stuff like that.