On a positive note, I can't believe I survived without tongs for so many years. I was flipping the most delicate little discs of blood sausage with me tongs last night. Much better than chasing them around the pan with a fish slice. :P

I use chopsticks for stuff like that.

Of course, of course. It's all in the wrist, isn't it?

• Like 2
  • Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This week* we are helpfully informed that we can turn out supper without the help of a countertop convection oven. Golly!                           * In tribute to Rancho, master thread

We really DO need a swap thread.

ah, but it is so much easier to clean non-stick pots after making things like dal, which don't need a fond.

Ah, yes, the fish poaching pan/pot/thang. I must figure out something else to do with it. Would make a handy jello mold.

They're useful for a Hazan recipe for a large roll of pasta stuffed with spinach, ham and ricotta the name of which I forget.

Becasue I originally wrote about his chiles and quoted the song Alice Is At It Again.

Behemoth, could I change it and have the subtext be From Mark Bittman's Column in the NYTimes ?

It would make ore sense.

I do love that his new nickname might just be Alice.

Becasue I originally wrote about his chiles and quoted the song Alice Is At It Again.

Behemoth, could I change it and have the subtext be From Mark Bittman's Column in the NYTimes ?

It would make ore sense.

I do love that his new nickname might just be Alice.

Thanks for that clarification - I thought it might have something to do with Alice Waters and her Sainthood or something.

Could someone explain the Bittman animus? I rather liked his TV show Bittman Takes On which had a neat premise: Chef cooks a dish, Bittman cooks a simpler version. And he did co-write the Vongerichten book that everyone likes.

We really DO need a swap thread.

Yes, that would be lovely.

Or just pass on your appliance, like a fish poacher that travels around the country being used by many MFers. Like a chain letter. But more useful.

Fish Poacher - what a great name, with a criminal double entendre, no less

Could someone explain the Bittman animus? I rather liked his TV show Bittman Takes On which had a neat premise: Chef cooks a dish, Bittman cooks a simpler version. And he did co-write the Vongerichten book that everyone likes.

He has no business writing about them, Mexican things in particular.

This was one instance.

I think he's done some good things too but he shouldn't be writing such erroneous things in the NYTimes.

I think any of us would adore his job.

I think he is on to a good thing by showing people how to simplify dishes, find cheap equipment and so on, but where he really irritates me is that much of the time he implies that nothing is lost in the compromised version. It would be a lot more helpful if he made clear what you were trading off, so that at least if you know you have a few more hours or extra cash, why it might be worth doing the real thing. This is especially true with ethnic dishes -- the difference in quality is implicit when he is comparing his version to Vongerichten's, but even in "home" cooking there is a reason people go through the extra trouble. And also with the equipment article, that $10 knife is fine if you are flat-out broke, but a huge waste of money in the long run if you can swing the $30 version.

I have his "how to cook everything" book, and frankly if I were just starting out I would have come to the conclusion that food made at home was just destined to come out edible but unexciting. I don't think I've ever wanted to make anything in there more than once. I mainly use it to look up roasting temperatures which is kind of a waste.