Well I don't plan to pop out to the supermarket just now in order to prove all you people completely wrong, but if you take a look at Fresh Direct's web-site, you'll see the range of ground beef available is 80% to 90% lean. In fact, if you look at the hamburger patties, the regular version is 26% total fat, the lean version 16% total fat.

So unless FD is an outlier, I completely win the argument. Yah boo.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This week* we are helpfully informed that we can turn out supper without the help of a countertop convection oven. Golly!                           * In tribute to Rancho, master thread

We really DO need a swap thread.

ah, but it is so much easier to clean non-stick pots after making things like dal, which don't need a fond.

FD may not be typical of what's out there, supermarket-wise. I go to Price Chopper and A&P an awful lot, and what we mostly see is 98%. In fact - we wanted to buy hamburger meat a couple of weeks ago (have not stocked up for the season yet) and I could not find anything with enough fat in 3 different upstate supermarkets.

Wilf is right. Average supermarket ground "beef" is usually about 20-25% fat. Leaner ground chuck is about 15-20% fat, and what they bill as "lean" ground round is usually about 10% fat. Even Laura's Lean beef, which is a product specifically marketed as extra lean maxes out at 96% lean.

But are "we" going to average joe supermarkets? I mean - there ain't no Laura's in the upstate supermarkets that we go to.

yes. I was citing Laura's as the exception, not the rule. The average market ground beef is pretty damn fatty.

take it from me, one who bought meat for years at regular groceries, almost all ground beef has fat content in the range wilf describes. leaner is more expensive, you see, and we average joes like it cheap.

At my average-joe IGA here in Vermont, the majority of the ground beef is 70% lean (mostly in 3-lb. family paks), with almost as much 80%. The 90% lean is packed solely in 3/4 - 1 lb. packages.