Casellula Cheese and Wine

It is intimidatingly full! Even at 10 pm. I went a couple weeks ago, really wanted to try the macaroni & cheese.

Nobody has mentioned this place in a while, I suspect for the simple reason that none of our frequent contributors live in the neighborhood. I am very rarely that far west in midtown, but I was last night. I strolled over. Forget it. Packed mid-evening with a crowd waiting for tables.

Good luck to them.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody has mentioned this place in a while, I suspect for the simple reason that none of our frequent contributors live in the neighborhood.

I lived directly across the street from this place for 4 years without a good, close wine bar (not to mention the cheese) and as soon as I move out this one opens. Sometimes the universe seems to be laughing at me.

Is it crowded at 11:00?

Seems like a great post theatre spot.

I got in there (post-theater) at about 11 last night, and the bar was nearly (but happily not completely) full. In addition to the one or two bar seats, there was maybe one table available. So I was able to get seated, but kinda by the skin of my teeth.

The place emptied out soon afterwards. (No, that doesn't always happen when I sit down somewhere.)

Really good place. Really good.

Pig's Ass Sandwich. Yeah!

And don't forget the chistorras in blankets. No visit complete without them.

Is it crowded at 11:00?

Seems like a great post theatre spot.

I got in there (post-theater) at about 11 last night, and the bar was nearly (but happily not completely) full. In addition to the one or two bar seats, there was maybe one table available. So I was able to get seated, but kinda by the skin of my teeth.

The place emptied out soon afterwards. (No, that doesn't always happen when I sit down somewhere.)

Really good place. Really good.

Pig's Ass Sandwich. Yeah!

And don't forget the chistorras in blankets. No visit complete without them.

Out late again last night!!! Burning the candle at both ends!!!

Hope you saw something worthwhile.

It is a terrific place and worth the price of admission.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
mmmm ... there last night. Lovely cheapish wines and good cheeses. Plus this place is just completely and totally unpretentious. Such an oasis.

This place is so excellent!! Happy to find it not quite full at 1am one Friday (saturday morn). Superb cheese, and normally I don't go for the accompaniments that much, but theirs are exceptional. Old world wines by the glass that I never heard of, excellent cheeses that I never heard of, it's a treat to know as much about wine and cheese as I do, and still feel like a novice!

(Both the chicken liver crostini's and Pig's Ass sandwich are the bomb)!

So fabulous to have a place like this in midtown too, something after theatre that doesn't involve a cab ride downtown.

And if you (general MF audience) are one of his regulars, tell him you were one of the ones I was talking about (in response to "how did a Californian find this place").

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to a hurricane, I managed to grab a bar-stool after eleven last night. The place continues to be insanely popular, but not without good reason. They currently offer a choice of at least forty cheeses.

I will post a picture later.

Like, much later...

casellulacheesesew7.th.jpg

As you can see, each cheese gets a personalised garnish. I'd prefer those on the side, but now I know to ask in future. If that looks like dark chocolate on one of the cheeses - it is. I did want to mention this one, Barely Buzzed from the Beehive Dairy in Utah. The rind is washed with lavendar and...coffee. This might be mere affectation, but the flavor and aroma of the coffee penetrates the firm paste, and the cheese has a distinct espresso finish. You have to like coffee, of course, and I wouldn't want to eat this every day. But it is very well done.

I admit, I set the chocolate aside and paired it with a glass of Madeira.