It was forty years ago today

listen to King Crimson or the Nice to get what Lake and Emerson were capable of.

Ah yes, their subtle and unpretentious lyrics, for example.

Cat's foot iron claw

Neurosurgeons scream for more

At paranoia's poison door

Twenty first century schizoid man.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, ccr didn't--john fogerty did. i don't know if you've ever tried listening to the fogerty's revenge album.

i don't think it is blasphemous to point out the truth that elvis and most of the motown crew didn't write their own songs. so, if it isn't wrong for them to sing other people's words and music why is it wrong for the monkees? "daydream believer" is an amazing pop song.

I was kidding. But the songs Holland, Dozier and Holland and Ashford and Simpson wrote were a lot better than the stuff churned out for the Monkees. Actually, I think Presley wrote a song or two. The Monkees did a fair job of mimicing the Beatles and Lester circa Hard Day's Night.

The Monkees were an exceptionally good pop group. Their material was almost uniformly superb, and Micky Dolenz is one of the most underrated of pop vocalists. "Stepping Stone", "I'm A Believer", "A Little Bit Me", "Last Train to Clarksville" - almost as great a singles band as Creedence.

Maybe I'm biased but I can't look at or hear Mickey Dolenz without thinking of Circus Boy.

Not only biased, but very, very old. :D

I tend to think of Boyce and Hart as being members of the band. They played on the records, and in later years toured with Jones and Dolenz. Perhaps that's a little unfair on Creedence.

The Monkees were an exceptionally good pop group. Their material was almost uniformly superb, and Micky Dolenz is one of the most underrated of pop vocalists. "Stepping Stone", "I'm A Believer", "A Little Bit Me", "Last Train to Clarksville" - almost as great a singles band as Creedence.

Maybe I'm biased but I can't look at or hear Mickey Dolenz without thinking of Circus Boy.

Not only biased, but very, very old. :D

True, but not as old as Micky.