I cannot get enough of these apricot/plum mixes. They are so fantastically good and they seem to be everywhere here. I don't remember seeing them on the East Coast- is this a California thing?

They are very soft and sweet and they taste like apricot jam. One vendor described as "french apricots." I'm not sure I can ever go back to plain jane apricots.

link

Apriums and Pluots. Have you tried the Pluots?

Personally, I don't care for either of them, but they are available in abundance at most farmers markets in California this time of year. I just really started seeing them at the market, oh, maybe five years ago. Of course, that could be that our farmers decided to get into them around 10 years ago and were waiting for the trees to mature.

I'm sorry, but apricots are my favorite and I absolutely hate plums, so to me it just seems that either variety only ruins my favorite apricot.

They don't make plums like they used to. Sorta like beans. They get so hybridized by the greedy patent lovers they lose their taste and juicyness. So when's the last time we saw a true old fashioned drippy dark purple plum with dark purple insides? They are all golden or red inside today.

Personally, I don't care for either of them, but they are available in abundance at most farmers markets in California this time of year. I just really started seeing them at the market, oh, maybe five years ago. Of course, that could be that our farmers decided to get into them around 10 years ago and were waiting for the trees to mature.

I'm sorry, but apricots are my favorite and I absolutely hate plums, so to me it just seems that either variety only ruins my favorite apricot.

But unlike pluots, the apriums aren't at all "plummy." They looks/taste/feel like super sweet and soft apricots.

But unlike pluots, the apriums aren't at all "plummy." They looks/taste/feel like super sweet and soft apricots.

I think you're getting better apriums than I'm getting. I can still taste the "plum" in them. There's only one variety of "french prune" that I can tolerate. I know, I know, picky, picky, picky. The only other thing that gets me so riled up are walnuts. Bleccch.

Which market are you shopping???

Which market are you shopping???

Well the best ones I have had were bought at the Mountain View Sunday market (which is huge, by the way). I didn't taste any that I liked at the Ferry Building market. I got some today at Berkeley's Sat market that seem pretty good at first taste. I've also gotten good ones at Berkeley Bowl. But maybe you are just more sensitive to the plum taste- I like plums, so it doesn't bother me.

They don't make plums like they used to. Sorta like beans. They get so hybridized by the greedy patent lovers they lose their taste and juicyness. So when's the last time we saw a true old fashioned drippy dark purple plum with dark purple insides? They are all golden or red inside today.

Agreed. Ten years ago (I lived in Seattle then) I used to get plums that were obscene by local standards, even at places like Safeway. Now, no.

I think I went off the rails on the aprium issue because last Wednesday I had the opportunity to visit one of our local growers and her orchard that included apricots falling off the trees. They are so perfect right now. She also has still immature cherry trees, several varieties of peaches and of course some plums, which I studiously avoided.

The apricots, however, I ate off the ground and they were that good. I'm not sure why I didn't pick a bag while we were standing there.

Lassa had the plums, which she loves, and she was smart enough to bring a few home.

Tamar, how big is huge in farmers markets? Is Mountain View larger than Ferry Plaza?

I'm comparing to other regional markets. It's not as big as SF Ferry Bldg, but it's also not as crowded. It doesn't have the prepared food stalls that you find at the Ferry Bldg market (and that I generally skip anyway). It was two full block rows, which is more than twice as large as Berkeley, so to me, it's pretty big.

it's worth mentioning that there are many varieties of apriums and of pluots (and of plumcots, pluots are a trademarked name). some are better than others. same is true of apricots. taste a blenheim and you'll never be able to go back to castlebrites, the dominant apricot in the market today (mainly intended for drying). a flavorella aprium is probably about as close as you'll get.

as for the interior color of plums--there are all kinds of plums, too. my personal favorite, the santa rosa, is dark red with a golden flesh. properly grown, it's a helluva plum.

actually, properly grown, many of these varieties are terrific. it's all in the farming ... or mostly.

• 1 month later...

Russ, I've been downing the Santa Rosa's by the handful - they are just so fantastic. They are desert for a small gathering this evening. I also just found black apricots which are black like plums but fuzzy like apricots. Definitely more plummy tasting than apriums. Not bad, although I prefer other varietals.