Brooklyn Mouthfuls

Woo hoo!! Our neighborhood is getting the next Trader Joe's on the corner of Atlantic and Court! The first in Brooklyn, the second in NYC. The Brooklyn Eagle is reporting that a deal has been inked for the old Independence Savings Bank building.

Hopefully, it will be a complement to Sahadi and the other Middle Eastern retailers rather than a competitor. But what welcome news!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brooklyn is big so we’ll be doing this one neighborhood at a time. Park Slope is home to me so I’m going to take this one. Steve can handle the rest of the borough by himself. He gets around more t

back to Park Slope-

I'd add two places to the list:

-Grab, at 14th and 7th- excellent cheese selection and knowledge with good picnic baskets as well.

-Colson's- belgian pastry shop at 9th St and 6th ave. amazing waffles (not for breakfast) and lots of ambition

• 3 weeks later...

Since we have some new Bklyn members, I'm bringing this back to the top to see if anyone wishes to add anything (or disagree with what's here). Obviously, this is just the beginning of a project that could use some dedicated voices.

While I"m here, I just wanted to report that Ginny and I had a very nice dinner at Tempo last night. The $25 set price is a little misleading since the atmosphere and food lends itself to drinking good wine. However, getting out of there, all in with drinking, tax & tip, for $120 is still an incredible deal given what we had and the place we had it in. I really recommend mid-week dining in the Slope. Not only were tables available at Tempo, but al di la had tables open at 8:30pm or so when we walked back to our car.

As a resident of Park Slope, I'm very fond of Al di La, Stone Park Cafe, and Tempo. I like the bar at Tempo, too. A European friend who stayed with me was utterly smitten by Song, which has its advantages (it's pretty cheap) and disadvantages (it's pretty loud). I usually order a margherita pizza at La Villa. Moutarde has been too erratic to lure me back, but the steak frites at Belleville are okay. There's a new patisserie next to Tempo called Trois Pommes, which I have to check out - I've heard they serve strong coffee. I like Blue Ribbon Sushi (I've never eaten at the regular Blue Ribbon). Tried Spirito a while back - it's new, on 9th Street between 4th and 5th, and it was pretty good. Nice to eat outside. I've only been to Convivium Osteria once, but I thought it was charming. I go to International Taste on 7th Avenue between Garfield and First for cheese. Where can I get good bread now that Uprising is gone?

• 1 year later...

I'm going back to the kick off post on this thread and will edit out the places which have closed in the interim -

Kinara

Jack's

Tea Lounge

Beso

There have been a number of nice suggestions which will definitely be included in the final list including Convivium, Blue Apron, and Union St. Market among others. But we've also had a number of restaurant openings since June 2007 when I opened this thread. Any new gems that ought to be included?

• 1 month later...
I'm going back to the kick off post on this thread and will edit out the places which have closed in the interim -

Kinara

Jack's

Tea Lounge

Beso

There have been a number of nice suggestions which will definitely be included in the final list including Convivium, Blue Apron, and Union St. Market among others. But we've also had a number of restaurant openings since June 2007 when I opened this thread. Any new gems that ought to be included?

I think the Teat Lounge is still open, no?

Kinara

Jack's

Tea Lounge

Beso

No.

Kinara

Jack's

Tea Lounge

Beso

No.

Well then, if you're desperate to go to one, you can go to the one in Carroll Gardens, which is still kicking.