Smoking ban

Folks seem to want hermetically sealed homes with no ventilation.

Hence the high levels of radon (a gas that is the decay product of radium in granite) in Aberdeen houses. Mind you, if you lived in Aberdeen, dying of cancer would be a relief.

Good point, too. Not familiar with this. Radium is worse? Like a poison or burn?

You can get a detector if you are concerned.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Radon is also a concern for residents in northeastern NJ and Rockland Westchester etc in NY.

There's a higher exposure belt of the stuff underneath many homes. Remediation is relatively easy (detector and a venting system), but the exposure is equivalent to something like smoking a half pack of cigarettes daily.

The situation in Britain on 30th June was entirely adequate to protect non-smokers, and none but a tiny minority of zealots had a problem. The new legislation is nothing less than smug do-goodery.

You remind me of H. L. Mencken. â€Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.â€

That's strange. You don't remind me of anyone.

I am just speechless with admiration at Macro's ability to balance dedicated opposition to smoking with no less zealous opposition to nanny-stating based on junk science. Well done!

I am just speechless with admiration at Macro's ability to balance dedicated opposition to smoking with no less zealous opposition to nanny-stating based on junk science. Well done!

The real treat will be to hear him restate his position a year from now when the ban has been in place and life continues as before but with cleaner air. It is the triple axel of logic. :lol:

Anybody have any ADVANTAGES to smoking, other than a farmer can actually live on a year's income of raising tobacco? Supposedly one doesn't live as long, therefore the risks of getting dementia or Alzheimer's are greatly reduced.

Anybody have any ADVANTAGES to smoking, other than a farmer can actually live on a year's income of raising tobacco? Supposedly one doesn't live as long, therefore the risks of getting dementia or Alzheimer's are greatly reduced.

some farmers are now able to gain a year's income from not growing tobacco, thanks to the taxpayers. They can sleep in, goof off, play on the computer all day, etc...

Smoking has great benefits to the citizenry. The industry generates a significant amount of tax dollars on the front end. On the back end, by causing people to die early and relatively quickly, it saves the health care industry significant costs in long-term geriatric care.

Just as important, people enjoy smoking, which is an advantage to them. (Until they're addicted and can't quit, but that's a different story.)

On the back end, by causing people to die early and relatively quickly, it saves the health care industry significant costs in long-term geriatric care.

[smug]

In 2004, the cost to the nation for COPD was approximately $37.2 billion, including healthcare expenditures of $20.9 billion in direct health care expenditures, $7.4 billion in indirect morbidity costs and $8.9 billion in indirect mortality costs.

Click.

[/smug]

Just as important, people enjoy smoking, which is an advantage to them. (Until they're addicted and can't quit, but that's a different story.)

Just curious. I smoke. I don't enjoy it consciously. I have no desire to quit. And I pay a whole lot more taxes here in California to support non-smoking related causes than 75% of other citizens. There is something seriously wrong with this picture.

Just curious. I smoke. I don't enjoy it consciously. I have no desire to quit. And I pay a whole lot more taxes here in California to support non-smoking related causes than 75% of other citizens. There is something seriously wrong with this picture.

The problem is that you're not paying enough tax on cigarettes. I think they go for about $4.25 in Frisco. They're almost $8 in NYC. If SF added a $3/pack tax, they could probably get all the homeless into high-end condos.