Smoking ban

The problem is that you're not paying enough tax on cigarettes. I think they go for about $4.25 in Frisco. They're almost $8 in NYC. If SF added a $3/pack tax, they could probably get all the homeless into high-end condos.

We have 6,000 homeless here in Santa Barbara County. Most of them smoke. And as for lung disease being the fourth highest reason of death, where does dying peacefully asleep in one's old age rank on the list? :lol:

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a suitably gloomy note, that's not a typical entry on a death certificate. Dying peacefully in one's sleep in old age usually means heart disease of one kind or another, or a form of cancer.

I think that was where I was heading in some twisted, idiotic sort of way. We all die of something. As I get older, and docenting with mostly people in their 80's, I am beginning to be caught by the "what if's" and "shouldn'ts." Had lunch recently with a 87 year old who has just forced herself to stop eating cashew nuts and Trader Joe's dark chocolate as a bedtime snack because "it's not good for me."

Yes, that is pointless self-denial. As I have observed in the past, it also makes sense to start smoking at that age, if you haven't already. Does wonders for the old nervous system.

Yeah, and though NOBODY would probably mention it, cigarettes might add a stimulant to the brain possibly good for dementia or Alzheimer's. Today's WSJ just says depression may cause it and anti-depressant drugs may help. Again, it's the expensive designer drugs being pitched again. Why not just ease back into the lounge chair and light a cigar?

Yes, that is pointless self-denial.

Oh, I don't know. I remember my mother reading a newspaper article on the oldest person in the world some years back, and she said to my father, "Who wants to live to be 121 (or whatever) anyway?" To which he replied, "someone who is 120."

The problem is that you're not paying enough tax on cigarettes. I think they go for about $4.25 in Frisco. They're almost $8 in NYC. If SF added a $3/pack tax, they could probably get all the homeless into high-end condos.

We have 6,000 homeless here in Santa Barbara County. Most of them smoke. And as for lung disease being the fourth highest reason of death, where does dying peacefully asleep in one's old age rank on the list? :lol:

COPD is the fourth leading cause of death (it'll probably be number three within the next few years). The first, second and third leading causes are heart disease, cancer* and stroke. Smoking increases risk of all these. Smoking is, without doubt, the leading avoidable cause of death in the country.

*Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death, causing more deaths than breast and prostate cancer combined.

Yeah, and though NOBODY would probably mention it, cigarettes might add a stimulant to the brain possibly good for dementia or Alzheimer's. Today's WSJ just says depression may cause it and anti-depressant drugs may help. Again, it's the expensive designer drugs being pitched again. Why not just ease back into the lounge chair and light a cigar?

Prozac, for example, is out of patent and cheap.

COPD is the fourth leading cause of death (it'll probably be number three within the next few years). The first, second and third leading causes are heart disease, cancer* and stroke. Smoking increases risk of all these. Smoking is, without doubt, the leading avoidable cause of death in the country.

I see you're troubled by this whole "death" business. What about taxes and allocating scarce healthcare resources for sports-related injuries?

I see you're troubled by this whole "death" business. What about taxes and allocating scarce healthcare resources for sports-related injuries?

I'm for allocating money to COPD and sports-related injuries as the former pays my salary and the latter fucked up my knee.

So why hasn't someone come up with a prophylaxis against lung cancer and emphysema that has smoking as it's delivery system? Hey, throw in some tobacco for fun. Why take a bunch of pills that napalm the whole body before it gets to the lungs? And then you get to take other pills that treat pill side effects till you get to pill dependency.

So why hasn't someone come up with a prophylaxis against lung cancer and emphysema that has smoking as it's delivery system?

Hey, Dr. G., here's an idea for you. Maybe if you didn't spend your day on the Internet, you would have thought of this yourself.