• 1 year later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I listen to This American Life at the gym. I need music for cardio, but This American Life makes the weight training and stretching go by fast.   I've also been watching the Callie Lewis GeekBrie

TED Talks?

I've been listening to Throughline from NPR.  They provide historical context for many of today's issues. The episodes on the origins of the police in the US and race in Europe/US were terrific.

a digital audio file made available on the Internet for downloading to a computer or portable media player, typically available as a series, new installments of which can be received by subscribers automatically.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS526US538&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&ie=UTF-8&q=define%3A%20podcast

My only comment on that is that they don't necessarily have to be audio.

• 1 year later...

I've really been enjoying Marc Maron's WTF podcast. His shows are refreshingly free of the typical PR based guests and prattle. He doesn't book people who are just out promoting their book/movie, etc., who you are hearing everywhere. The interviews are truly substantive and filled with things you haven't heard. I'm listening to Mike White (Enlightened creator) and some great past shows are Louis CK (former best friends reconcile on the podcast) and Michael Keaton. I'm looking forward to the Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks interviews, I hear that they are terrific.

I still love WTF, my favorite podcast by far. Case in point is his most recent interview with Neil Strauss who I vaguely knew as the guy who wrote The Game (a book on how to pick up women). This was a pretty fascinating interview which was more like a raw therapy session for both men on why their mothers ruined their love lives.

Also really like:

The newest Serial - I think I like this better than the first one. The story is easier to follow and Koenig hasn't been able to insert herself in the story as she did with season 1.

Start Up - an insider look at a company trying to make it. They have a meta season looking at their own company, Gimlet but I also really liked the season where they follow an online dating site.

Mystery Show - Starlee Kine tries to solve a mystery each show. Pretty out there but a fun listen.

Reply All - This is hit or miss for me.

Surprisingly Awesome - Planet Money Adam Davidson's new show where they examine subjects that are seemingly boring, like mold. I'm trying to like this but hasn't clicked yet.

• 2 years later...

Who knows about the today’s universe of podcasts ?

When driving, I would like to find a channel that has either long-format interviews with or, more preferably, lectures / presentations / speeches by the world’s greatest thinkers / doers / creators / artists / researchers …

Does anything like this exist ?

Domaines that could interest me for this specific request – Technologists, scientists, historians, business / financial / entrepreneurial leaders, writers, artists, architects, etc

Domaines that do NOT interest me for this specific request – Politics, religion, food, sports, comedy, film stars, social psychology insights / Gladwellians …

Something along the lines of David Rubinstein interviews is in the ballpark but ideally I want the guest to be speaking non-stop in order to better see their mind at work and see how they process the world or their topic of interest

I know absolutely zero, as someone who has never listened to a single podcast.

But, to show how different we are, my wife listens to them all them time - and probably some of what you're looking for, though she tends to lean towards the political side. I'll ask when she awakens.

What I have listened to though, when driving, are audio books, read by the authors themselves - some pretty cool stuff, but not too deep because, you know, I'm not that deep of a thinker.

Looking to learn something ... or open new pathways ... or be inspired

And for this specific purpose, books are too big a time commitment ... and I prefer to be more focused for literature cuz Im being interrupted all the time in the car ... biz calls up the wazoo, even in the wilds of Galicia ... its not all fun and sun and games, folks ... Chambos a workaholic ... scuse me one sec ... una otra botella de Escolma por favor, Vina de Martin ! ... okay where were we, ah right ! working ... yeah so its nonstop decisions and pressure and ... merde ! ... sorry guys excuse me once again ... y las chicas quieren otra botella de champagne por favor, un magnum !!! ... yeah so pressure responsibility high-stakes dealmaking while maintaining self-control, inventing and investing in the future. Dont assume you know what Chambo does in his non-posting hours, because you would be SHOCKED if you knew. But but but todays a holiday in Spain, so Im just trying to fit in, you know. Me dont want to be the ugly unreligious Umerican, do I ? Happy Assumption Day ! Okay time to hit the beach ...

So are you paying for these audiobooks, joe ? Is a hard copy included ? How long to listen vs read ? Ive heard +60% to +100% for listening at normal rate, tis true ?

Read an article a while back re high speed audio playback apps. Twas cool about these dudes who can deal with 3x ( or whatever-x) accelerated playback. Takes training and time to get there though

So are you paying for these audiobooks, joe ? Is a hard copy included ? How long to listen vs read ? Ive heard +60% to +100% for listening at normal rate, tis true ?

Read an article a while back re high speed audio playback apps. Twas cool about these dudes who can deal with 3x ( or whatever-x) accelerated playback. Takes training and time to get there though

Oh yeah, paying separately from the hard copy. Takes me just as long to listen as to read, but I am a bad reader. So you basically need hours, as opposed to listening to a podcast.

Lemme know if anything new in San Sebsatian or Bilbao and environs that you like.

Who knows about the today’s universe of podcasts ?

When driving, I would like to find a channel that has either long-format interviews with or, more preferably, lectures / presentations / speeches by the world’s greatest thinkers / doers / creators / artists / researchers …

Does anything like this exist ?

Domaines that could interest me for this specific request – Technologists, scientists, historians, business / financial / entrepreneurial leaders, writers, artists, architects, etc

Domaines that do NOT interest me for this specific request – Politics, religion, food, sports, comedy, film stars, social psychology insights / Gladwellians …

Something along the lines of David Rubinstein interviews is in the ballpark but ideally I want the guest to be speaking non-stop in order to better see their mind at work and see how they process the world or their topic of interest

He's not to everyone's taste, but Tim Ferriss might be up your alley. I especially like the episodes with health and science people (Peter Attia, Rhonda Patrick, Dom D'Agostino, Martin Gibala), but he has a very broad range of guests. Probably 75-80% meet your preferences.

Tim - heard the name maybe, need to delve

TED - Not my thing, but thanks. For me and my desired poddy diet, TED is kind of like a big pink hair ball of cotton candy where it looks pretty interesting so you try it ... and it lasts for ten-ish minutes, gives you a quick sugar high but afterwards you realize there was no real content there