Female Vocalists

Emmy Lou Harris

Oh yes. A friend describes her voice as shrill and piercing, which it may be to some. To me, it's like sand-washed silk.

Has anyone mentioned Madeleine Peyroux? Some of her stylings get old, but her voice is great.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone mentioned Madeleine Peyroux? Some of her stylings get old, but her voice is great.

Why not just listen to Billie Holiday?

Wasn't there a singer who sounded like Billie and when she heard her, she said, "If that bitch ain't me, she's dead!"

Celine has a great voice? I'm going to go shoot myself.

Granted it's a mechanical one - measured in PSI and DB but we won't talk about pitch. And I'm not a Madeline Peyroux fan at all. It's almost "cool" to like her for some reason - I don't get it.

Have I missed a post about Judy Garland and Edith Piaf?

In similar style, Elaine Paige is unbelievable.

I never enjoyed the sound of Piaf. I considered Judy, but her stuff after 1948 was so bad, I just couldn't excuse it. Liza is similar. Her early stuff showed so much promise, but then she went "reality" on us.

Interesting about Judy - her first "hit" Over the Rainbow was arguably the best song she ever did. Peaking at 12 must be tough.

Interesting about Judy - her first "hit" Over the Rainbow was arguably the best song she ever did. Peaking at 12 must be tough.

I'm not a fan but a lot of people would disagree with you, including the audience at the Palladium!!!

Granted it's a mechanical one - measured in PSI and DB but we won't talk about pitch. And I'm not a Madeline Peyroux fan at all. It's almost "cool" to like her for some reason - I don't get it.

And she is a dud live.

I'm not a fan but a lot of people would disagree with you, including the audience at the Palladium!!!

They probably would, but in those situations people are saluting a memory, not the reality.

They probably would, but in those situations people are saluting a memory, not the reality.

Her version of 'The Man That Got Away' in A Star Is Born still brings tears to my eyes. Sadly, all the YouTube versions that I tried to link to are as a much-older, less-impressive Judy.

And she is a dud live.

Conversely, Elaine Paige is hard to capture on record.

And she is a dud live.

She's played the local jazz fest here twice and was underwhelmed both times.