Female Vocalists

Emmy Lou Harris

Oh yes. A friend describes her voice as shrill and piercing, which it may be to some. To me, it's like sand-washed silk.

Has anyone mentioned Madeleine Peyroux? Some of her stylings get old, but her voice is great.

She doesn't have the most powerful voice but she is a master at harmony. She can harmonize with anyone beautifully.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems the great ones have been mentioned so I'll just toss these out for consideration.

Toni Braxton

Marisa Monte

Spanky McFarlane

Marie Daulne (Zap Mama)

Tracy Nelson

Liane Foley

Patricia Kaas

Johnette Napolitano

Laura Nyro

Valerie Simpson

Irma Thomas

I don't know if Janis qualifies as a vocalist or merely a shouter but she had her moments.

Judy Garland represents something far greater than her actual talents to a lot of people, but it's not the little girl who sang Over the Rainbow in the Wizard of Oz. It's struggling and then thriving despite adversity and creating something beautiful out of something out of the mainstream.

Like I said, she's not my cup of tea, but I'm around a lot of guys who she really speaks to and it's not young Judy that whips them into a frenzy.

Judy Garland represents something far greater than her actual talents to a lot of people, but it's not the little girl who sang Over the Rainbow in the Wizard of Oz. It's struggling and then thriving despite adversity and creating something beautiful out of something out of the mainstream.

Like I said, she's not my cup of tea, but I'm around a lot of guys who she really speaks to and it's not young Judy that whips them into a frenzy.

I trust your knowledge about that, but that doesn't put her on the top female vocalist list - at least for me.

Oh my god please don't say she's similar to Nancy LaMott.

I love Eva Cassidy. Nancy LaMott makes me cringe.

I've tried avoiding getting into a Nancy debate because everyone has their own opinion, but I must ask what's not to like? I read your "insulin" comment and I disgaree. She interprets songs like no one I've ever witnessed. Experts from around the world have called her voice a "musical instrument." She was recognized as the best female caberet singer of her time and many have said ever. Sinatra, Bennett and Torme have all said she was one of the best ever and Sinatra said her interpretations were the best he remembered of any female singer - and that's from someone most experts consider the best interpreter ever.

Her voice was pure, but not in the Karen Carpenter style (who could have had the purest female voice ever). Her range is off the charts and her ability to relate to an audience was surperb. The staff of the Algonquin Room called her the best to ever perform there. The Clintons invited her to sing at the White House twice. I understand not liking her, but to say some of the other stuff appears strange.

Have you listened to a lot of her stuff? She has a double CD coming out next month. Listen to Moon River, Rhode Island, Waters or March, Help Is on the Way, Skylark, What's Good About Goodbye - just to mention of few off the top of my head. Her duet with Michael Feinstein is magical - they reverse the male/female roles on Baby, It's Cold Outside - absolutlely brilliant.