Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just don't have the heart to tell you about Sandra Lee ....

First time I looked at her website

With her trademark 70/30 philosophy, which combines 70% ready-made products with 30% fresh and creative touches –

Sandra’s philosophy was born out of necessity and the challenges she faced throughout her childhood. The oldest of five children, Sandra was responsible for helping her mother manage the household finances as well as the care taking of her four siblings. With her family living on welfare and food stamps, Sandra quickly learned how to turn budget-friendly packaged foods into delicious and specials meals for the family.

That doesn't surprise me. I had to write cooking class materials a few years ago for people on aid. And I was told that the recipes should include lots of inexpensive packaged products because the folks received these products in the form of assistance. And that's the kind of food a lot of them knew from growing up poor.

Food stamps and WIC do not mandate that participants receive or purchase pre-packaged and ready-made foods. In fact, WIC has strict rules about participants being limited to healthy foods. But, it is true that most folks on food stamps do purchase a lot of these types of food. While that may have been the case in Sandra Lee's household when she was growing up due to financial circumstances, I am not sure that means her 70/30 method should be the subject of a "cooking" show. Also, having watched the show, it did not appear to me that it was geared toward poor people who rely on federal food aid or are on a tight budget.

What is Sandra Lee? :lol:

Sandra Lee is the single worst host on any Food Network show. By far. She makes Tyler look like Jacques Pepin. I once watched her make lasagna using tomato soup as a base. She refers to regular cooking as "monkey business." It's a train wreck of a show and I rarely miss an episode.

I don't think I've ever seen Farid laugh as much while watching a food show. A lot of the things are so bad that we thought we were watching a parody. I'm not kidding here, we really didn't know if it was supposed to be a real cooking show. :lol:

I once watched her make lasagna using tomato soup as a base.

Please tell me that you are making this up. Please.

I know it's early in the morning but here you go. Sandra Lee's Hamburger Dogs -

sh1a07_hamburger_dogs.jpg.rend.sni12col.

And her ever popular Kwanzaa Kake. Take one store bought angel food cake, cover with canned chocolate frosting and corn nuts, fill the center hole with canned apple pie filling, then impale with 6 dinner candles.

qxuces.jpg

Sandra is a full service fuckup. She also offers lifestyle advice. Here she advises her fans to cover themselves with Pixie Stix powder before jumping into bed with their special someone.

I once watched her make lasagna using tomato soup as a base.

Please tell me that you are making this up. Please.

I know it's early in the morning but here you go. Sandra Lee's Hamburger Dogs -

sh1a07_hamburger_dogs_e.jpg

And her ever popular Kwanzaa Kake. Take one store bought angel food cake, cover with canned chocolate frosting and corn nuts, fill the center hole with canned apple pie filling, then impale with 6 dinner candles.

sh1a09_kwanzaa_cake_e.jpg

Sandra is a full service fuckup. She also offers lifestyle advice. Here she advises her fans to cover themselves with Pixie Stix powder before jumping into bed with their special someone.

The DVR is set to record. This cannot be missed.

The DVR is set to record. This cannot be missed.

Good ... good. [Rubbing hands together] You are in for a special treat. The show is shown at 11:00AM on the weekends and 12:30 and 5:30 during the week.

There's a whole website devoted to ripping her. When you find yourself screaming at the TV set it helps to know you're not alone.

That Kwanzaa Kake is not only disgusting, it's just wrong. Was she on drugs? Pixie Stix powder? I can think of many things to say about that concept, but am not sure they would get past the censors. :lol:

Deb, it gets worse than that. In the same episode she also made a Hanukkah cake and a Christmas cake, the same angel food cakes similarly stuffed and tortured. I think the Hanukkah cake was bright blue and had a string of pearls around the bottom. But her Easter Bunny cake is the extreme Sandra Lee and if you ever get the chance to watch that episode, grab it. Bunnicula.

Sometimes we scream so loud that we have to close the windows lest the neighbors call Emergency.

First time I looked at her website

With her trademark 70/30 philosophy, which combines 70% ready-made products with 30% fresh and creative touches –

Sandra’s philosophy was born out of necessity and the challenges she faced throughout her childhood. The oldest of five children, Sandra was responsible for helping her mother manage the household finances as well as the care taking of her four siblings. With her family living on welfare and food stamps, Sandra quickly learned how to turn budget-friendly packaged foods into delicious and specials meals for the family.

That doesn't surprise me. I had to write cooking class materials a few years ago for people on aid. And I was told that the recipes should include lots of inexpensive packaged products because the folks received these products in the form of assistance. And that's the kind of food a lot of them knew from growing up poor.

This is an incredibly lame justification for what Sandra Lee does. I'd bet that if you took any average "recipe" of hers and made it with natural ingredients, you'd spend less.